Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Never3rdMonkey

Data Mart Version Mismatch

I'm new to Power BI and exploring the use of Data Marts for large and constantly growing data volumes.  My data source for my Data Mart is MS Azure Blob with JSON files (with excess of 100 columns).

I created a Data Mart and connected to the Azure Blob/JSON file successfully - I did not do any modelling.  Saved successfully.

I immediately went back into the Data Mart (Transform) to begin the modelling step by step.  I filtered only one column (Extension) to only show .json files and tried saving again.  On saving the error shown below referring to DataMartVersionMismatch came up when reaching Start data load.

I exited Power Query, went back in and without trying to do any modelling, tried to save right away.  The same error was displayed.

Where am I going wrong ?

BTW - I have successfully modelled these JSON files using Power BI Desktop successfully previously in the exact same sequence of steps.

Thank you for any assistance

Never3rdMonkey_0-1673593032786.png

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Thank you - Much Appreciated.  I will go through them.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

What is your rationale for shuffling the data from one Azure data storage (BLOB) to another Azure data storage (datamart) ?  What prevents you from consuming the BLOB data directly in the dataset?

Hi lbendlin,  Thank you for responding

We use JSON files in the Azure Blob, which does not support M Folding.  We want to implement incremental refresh which is supported in Datamarts, but not in the Azure Blob with JSON files.

So I did manage to at least save the initial JSON file upload (no data modelling), but the moment I started any data modelling in Power Query, and tried saving, it would crash on me giving the version error or other errors referring to missing columns (columns which actually exist - this makes no sense).

The Power Query in Datamarts appears to be very sensitive and look for things that do not exist.

BTW - these exact JSON files were successfully unpacked on Power BI Desktop and I followed the exact same sequence I used on PBI desktop, but these errors pop up.

We use JSON files in the Azure Blob, which does not support M Folding.  We want to implement incremental refresh which is supported in Datamarts, but not in the Azure Blob with JSON files

Incremental refresh does not mandate that the query folds. You can achieve the same with custom queries.

Oh wow !  I was not aware and none of my research covered custom queries as an option.

Do you have a link you could refer me to so that I can explore this in more detail?

Thank you for your assistance - much appreciated

The four articles in this section are covering the topic nicely

Incremental refresh for datasets and real-time data in Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Thank you - Much Appreciated.  I will go through them.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors