Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

hxkresl
Helper V
Helper V

Dashboard tile is out of sync with report

My issue is same as described in the post below.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/forefront/en-US/d68ee0ed-d257-4a1b-9217-b28eaac2997e/das...

This issue wasn't addressed by anyone before being moved to Power Bi Community forum.

I also have a report from which I pinned visuals to dashboard.  I have made sure not to overwrite the report to watch that values in dashboard stay in sync but after 4 refreshes to day, the dashboard is out of sync.

Pls suggest if problem will be solved or what is remedy.

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

@hxkresl That is a really old post... Couple things here. 1st, if the dashboard tiles are not updating at all, that is a bug. And if it is repeatable (more then just one dashboard is experiancing this issue, I'd submit an issue in the issues forum, or spin up a support ticket if you are a Pro user.

The 2nd thing would be to understand that dashboard tiles won't update when your dataset is updated. It is on a seperate refresh schedule and is delayed. 

What happens if you initiate a "refresh dashboard tiles" from the "..." in the upper right on the dashboard? They should process and update.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

View solution in original post

v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @hxkresl,

If you pin an entire report page, as a live tile, to a Power BI dashboard. The tile will changed as your report update. More details, please review this similar thread.

Best Regards,
Angelia

@Seth_C_Bauer

my experience is that I must repin the visuals from the report if I republish the underlying dataset.  Maybe this is what you were saying all along.

15 REPLIES 15
v-huizhn-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @hxkresl,

If you pin an entire report page, as a live tile, to a Power BI dashboard. The tile will changed as your report update. More details, please review this similar thread.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi @v-huizhn-msft, I am glad to know about pinning a whole report as a tile, but as i am using each individual tile as a jump off point to another view of the data for a 'drill through' experience i can't convert to this approach. 

For future reference, why would a whole report as a tile be less likely to be out of sync with a report than a single tile?

Hi @hxkresl,

I totally understand you. For your question, it depends on the design of Power BI product. You can create a ideas here, so power bi will become better as your support.

Best Regards,
Angelia

I'm seeing exactly the same issue, I have deleted the dashboard and repinned again but the tiles are not updating.  Is this a bug that Power BI is working on?

Hi @hxkresl,

Please mark the helpful reply as answer, so that  more people will benefit from it.

Best Regards,
Angelia

@v-huizhn-msft @Seth_C_Bauer

All the replies were equally helpful. thank you.

Hi @hxkresl,

Please mark the helpful reply as answer, so that people who has similar issue will learn more from here. Thanks for understanding.

Best Regards,
Angelia 

@v-huizhn-msft @Seth_C_Bauer

What is frequency of dashboard tile refresh?  

Does pinning an entire report as a tile to the dashboard remove the problem of the dashboard somtimes being out of sync with the report itself?

@hxkresl There is no "exact time", I believe the general response is around 15 minutes. The report page on the dashboard should not have those refresh issues, it should be the same view as if you were in the report.

Looking for more Power BI tips, tricks & tools? Check out PowerBI.tips the site I co-own with Mike Carlo. Also, if you are near SE WI? Join our PUG Milwaukee Brew City PUG

@Seth_C_Bauer

my experience is that I must repin the visuals from the report if I republish the underlying dataset.  Maybe this is what you were saying all along.

@hxkresl That is a really old post... Couple things here. 1st, if the dashboard tiles are not updating at all, that is a bug. And if it is repeatable (more then just one dashboard is experiancing this issue, I'd submit an issue in the issues forum, or spin up a support ticket if you are a Pro user.

The 2nd thing would be to understand that dashboard tiles won't update when your dataset is updated. It is on a seperate refresh schedule and is delayed. 

What happens if you initiate a "refresh dashboard tiles" from the "..." in the upper right on the dashboard? They should process and update.

Hi @Seth_C_Bauer

thanks for explaning that dashboard is on different refresh schedule and how to refresh dashboard tiles.  I did that and yet, there is a disconnect.

If I make an edit on my desktop to JUST ONE of the tiles in the source pbix and re publish to service, do I need to rebuild the whole dashboard (all tiles)?

@hxkresl No, It should just be the one visual. Once you pin a tile, the tile is a seperate object, no longer related to the actual visual. It is a visual tile tied to your report page that updates with the data. In order for your new visual to show up on the dashboard, you need to re-pin it because it is a seperate visual.

People get hung up on the misconception that the tile IS the visual. It isn't, it is a snapshot of what the visual looked like at the time you pinned it, and is its own object.

@Seth_C_Baueryou used the term 'report page'.  Is 'report page' same as the published dataset  or is it referring to dataset + model?

I'm still not clear about this.  Let me use an example.

eg. If I do some re-modelling and add DAX to the model and then I recreate the visual.   The visual looks the same, has same title as before, and the dataset is the same.

Do I need to repin the visual?  

@hxkresl I say report page because there is a context of where the visual was pinned from. You can test this. Add a visual to a report page, pin it to a dashboard, then delete the visual from the report page. When you click on the Tile it navigates back to the report page that it came from. Obviously the dataset is part of this as well.

No. Because the tile will continue to update. The issue for most is that if they alter a filter or something on the visual, it doesn't automatically change the visual elements or the filter context of the Tile. If you didn't change anything visually or in the filter, then you don't have to re-pin a visual to replace the existing tile, because the tile will continue to update.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors