Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Create multiple equals panels with a filter difference

Hello everybody, I am writing to know if there is a good way to do the requeriment the client is asking to me.

They want to have a summary of data for each area. So they want me to create 40 panels, equals with a difference in the filtering (area). So the will see on the panel, data refered to their own area. (Sharing only to the respective manager in the area)

Is there a good practise to do this fast or should i click 40 times in the visualization pinning to diferent panels?

Before you ask about RLS, they don't have pro license, only one. The rest is pure external free. So I can't call RLS to free external users. So the only way i figure out is creating 40 panels with each area summary.

Regards, hope one has an answer to this so I won't be clicking 40 times on the filter and on the visualizations.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

4 REPLIES 4
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @ibarrau,

Could you please describe more details about calling RLS to free external users?

The RLS feature is in preview stage, and you can now configure RLS for data models imported into Power BI with Power BI Desktop, which doesn’t require license. Just note that when adding a member to the role, this member has to be within your organization. For more details about RLS, please review the following article: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/powerbi-admin-rls/ .

However, if you need to configure RLS for external users, it is impossible, in this case, you will need to create 40 panels with each area summary.

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the answers. When I say external users I mean email accounts outside office 365. They don't have microsoft exchange. They have their own domain. Thouse emails are what I call external free users.

Should I add them with the pro account somehow to the organization so I can check them with RLS? Is that even possible?

I am hoping to solve this soon because I don't think creating 40 panels is the solution.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Hi @ibarrau,

I am afraid that it is impossible to configure RLS for those users in your scenario. As stated in this article, members of role have to be within your organization, it indicates that when configuring RLS, people are added as members should use email accounts with same suffix (for example: username1@contoso.com, username2@contoso.com) and use such account to sign up in Power BI.

Moreover, external sharing is not currently supported with datasets that use RLS. Regarding to the above limitations of RLS,  you can submit your idea on the Power BI Idea forum: https://ideas.powerbi.com/forums/265200-power-bi-ideas .

Thanks,
Lydia Zhang

Community Support Team _ Lydia Zhang
ankitpatira
Community Champion
Community Champion

@ibarrau I think RLS is your best option for these requirement. Since you've said they don't have Pro account they can signup for Pro trial account for free which gives them 60 days + extension if required.

Also RLS wont affect external sharing if that is what you meant in your comments above ie users will have to be internal organiation users.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors