Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Copy of Report to other workspace with Visual Updates

Hello Power BI community,
I'm currently facing an issue with copying reports between workspaces in Power BI. I've successfully copied a report to another workspace, but I've noticed that when I update the visuals in the original report, the changes don't reflect in the copied report. The copied report only updates the dataset, not the visuals.

Background:

• I have a report in Workspace A.
  • I made a copy of this report in Workspace B.
  • Changes to the dataset in Workspace A reflect in Workspace B, but visual updates do not.

Question: Is there a way to ensure that visual updates made in the original report (Workspace A) are also reflected in the copied report (Workspace B)? I would like to maintain consistency across workspaces and have all changes, including visuals, synchronized automatically.

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello @ibarrau , appreciate the clarification! I have a report that needs sharing across two distinct workspaces, enabling visibility for different teams within the company. While I can resolve this by uploading the same dataset to both workspaces, it seems redundant and strains the SQL Server unnecessarily.

It would be great to introduce a new feature enabling users to refresh the visual. Currently, each time I make a change, I have to delete the existing copy and create a new one, which is quite inconvenient. The most significant frustration arises from losing user metrics, which results in a loss of visibility into the viewers and views of the duplicated copy.

Well I don't see this happening because I can't find a reason for having the same report in two different workspaces. If it's an issue about filtering for different audiences you can handle that with RLS in a single report. The closest practice to avoid re work would be always make changes at Power Bi Desktop and then publish two times. One for each workspace. That way you have made changes for the report one time and publish two times.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

ibarrau
Super User
Super User

Hi. No, there is not way to do that. When you do that, you are copying the report like a file in a PC. The new file you have copied is independant now. If you modify the original file the copy won't change. Changing the dataset works because the copy is only of the visual report, but it's still pointing to the original dataset. It creates a report live connected to the original dataset that has the same visuals of the original.

You can't create somehow two reports that will change when one is modified. Maybe if you share with us why would you like to do that, we might share a solution to the original issue you are trying to solve that way.

I hope that helps,

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Happy to help!

LaDataWeb Blog

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors