Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Connecting to Dataflow in Power BI Desktop Without Workspace Access

Hi. I've started using Dataflows in Workspaces with the intention of restricting access to the Workspace users. Unfortunately, when using Power BI desktop, a user who only has access to a single workspace, is able to access all dataflows even in Workspaces they have not been granted access to by clicking the 'Get Data' icon and selecting 'Power BI dataflows' from the drop down menu.

My question is: Am I able to restrict access to the dataflow to specific workspace users in which the dataflow has been created in?

We're using Pro licences, and with each dataflow either linked to a single SQL database via an enterprise gateway, or Google data via the web. Because of the nature of data in the dataflows, I've been forced to disable them at the organisational level which has seriously impacted our business. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

Worked it out. 

Got caught out by the global permissions on the desktop being used. Made the assumption by logging with a different account, then access would be restricted but because permission had been granted via an administrator account, I had to clear the permissions and then everything worked as expected. 

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Worked it out. 

Got caught out by the global permissions on the desktop being used. Made the assumption by logging with a different account, then access would be restricted but because permission had been granted via an administrator account, I had to clear the permissions and then everything worked as expected. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors