Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

TCavins
Helper V
Helper V

Build permission for a group but not others already given access

We have existing apps with security group roles set up for accessing them without build permission.

Some users now need build permission and I don't want to click each individual dataset to add the permissions.

Is there a way to update the app, add this new security group with build permission but not grant it to others that already have access to the app?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey @TCavins ,

then, it's simply not possible.

You can't restrict the App permission settings to only a subset of the configured security groups.

Regards,

Tom

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution, this will help others!

Proud to be a Super User!
I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
TomMartens
Super User
Super User

Hey @TCavins ,

I always recommend disabling the below settings during the Power BI App permission configuration:

image.png

Instead provide the build permission explicitly, using the Manage permission settings on the dataset.

image.png

You can add a security group that has build permission to the App access, and another security that doesn't have the build permission. The second group will be granted read permission implicitly.

it's also necessary to understand that read permission on the dataset does not overrule configured Row Level Security.

Hopefully, this helps to tackle your challenge.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Yes, we've diabled those settings for existing security groups. However, I don't want to click on every single dataset in my apps and add permissions to build for this new group. At that point, any time we add a new app, we'll have to manually add them there too rather inheriting build permissions from the app.

Hey @TCavins ,

then, it's simply not possible.

You can't restrict the App permission settings to only a subset of the configured security groups.

Regards,

Tom

I accept Kudos 😉
Hamburg, Germany

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Top Solution Authors