Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Michieldo
Helper III
Helper III

Both personal and enterprise gateway

Hi there,

Currently I have installed the enterprise gateway and have several datasources (mostly MS SQL) running on the gateway cluster. Unfortunately Google Analytics is not supported by the enterprise gateway. However, I would like to combine these datasets. Previously I had the MS SQL running on the personal gateway too, but changed recently due to another problem and it seems that I can't use the personal gateway when this MS SQL is already added to a cluster?

Is there a way to resolve this issue without removing my enterprise gateway again?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
collinq
Super User
Super User

Hi @Michieldo ,

Maybe I don't fully understand your issue.  But, the type of gateway is not about the data.  A personal gateway is Power BI only and is used by you.  An Enterprise means more folks, and particularly, the service in general, can use the gateway.  Here is an article about this:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-personal-mode and perhaps this one:  https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-deployment-guidance

There are differences in the capability between the two, such as connection types, monitoring and other considerations.

Where you might be having technical problems is if the Enterprise and Personal gateways are on the same computer/server.

Other than that, you can have a Personal Gateway that is being used with SQL and and Enterprise Gateway that is using the same SQL.  It would be wise to make sure the corresponding reports are not refreshing at the same moment (for overhead reasons).    

You can have a report hit different data sources (SQL, Excel, SharePoint, a different SQL, etc.).  This createst the dataset.

For a report/dashboard to use multiple datasets you will have to use that dataset in the Service.  Most commonly, folks will publish the two separate reports from different datasets and then combine them in the dashboard.

You can also use Dataflows now that might be of assistance.

I would appreciate Kudos if my response was helpful. I would also appreciate it if you would Mark this As a Solution if it solved the problem. Thanks!

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Datanaut!
Private message me for consulting or training needs.

@collinq Thanks a lot, very clear!

The problem is that I have to use enterprise gateway as well as the personal gateway (necessary for R-script and Google Analytics) within the same report. Combining them in the dashboard is not possible since I have to combine them in an earlier stage in Power Desktop to get the right measures and merges in M code. So the only option is to use dataflows?

I hoped there would be a solution that would allow me to use both personal and entreprise gateway within the same report.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors