Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

trev1972a
Helper I
Helper I

Accidental writeback to database risk "admin has granted access, credentials are not required"?

Hey all

I have been using power bi for a little while, now and although i have read that power bi cant write back to an sql server by accident i do use an account with read only database access to be extra safe, i do the same for automated exel spreadsheets that connect to the database, using a read only account.

However when manually refreshing a dataset i noticed the following message on app.poweri.com 

"admin has granted access, credentials are not required"

Does this mean i have inadvertently granted elevated permissions?  i am unfamiliar with the message if anyone can help. Do i have any reason to be concerned? 

Thanks.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

You will, just be patient with Power BI as it is a huge SaaS tool with a lots of infos. Good luck.

Please mark this thread as accepted for the rest of the community

Regards
Amine Jerbi

If I answered your question, please mark this thread as accepted
and you can follow me on
My Website, LinkedIn and Facebook

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
trev1972a
Helper I
Helper I

Just wanted to say how much i appreciate the responses by the way, the reason i checked is that the reports i am being asked to do are getting more and more complicated- with multiple data sources, combined columns, dax calculated columns and- a heck of a lot of data transformation in power query.  It suddenly hit me that i had never checked that only the imported data is being transformed.

I hope that with more experience i can repay the favours to the helpful people here.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

You will, just be patient with Power BI as it is a huge SaaS tool with a lots of infos. Good luck.

Please mark this thread as accepted for the rest of the community

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi @trev1972a 

For sure Power BI is a read only SaaS, you don't have to be worried about Power bi writing back to any source.

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Thanks 🙂 i know how paranoid i sound

I will stop wasting energy worrying about it, thanks again 🙂

trev1972a
Helper I
Helper I

It has been a long time since i set up the data gateway but it isnt running as a domain user, it is running as 

NT SERVICE\PBIEgwService  if that helps?

I know i probably seem paranoid but really want minimal priveliges possible.

aj1973
Community Champion
Community Champion

It sounds like your Gateway connection to the source is not configured the right way.

Here is a link to help

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-sql-tutorial

Regards
Amine Jerbi

and you can follow me on

Hi aj1973

Everything is updating fine on the refresh schedule? and the gateway shows as online?

I have maybe a dozen reports updating twice daily and they all refresh ok?

I have read the link, but it doesnt suggest there is any issue with using the default service account on the gateway?

I am tempted not to mess as it is currently working, based on the earlier assurance that i cant accidentally damage our database through power BI

Thanks again.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors