Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

GuestUser
Helper V
Helper V

Usage Tracking of power Bi report Server

Hi,

Can anyone please let me know how can we check the usage of all the reports on power BI Report server

I understand we can get the information from Execution log2 and execution Log 3 tables

But If I have a report with Multiple pages - the pages Information is not captrured in it

Only the Report name is visible - which does not serve teh purpose

Pls suggest

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@GuestUser wrote:

But If I have a report with Multiple pages - the pages Information is not captrured in it

The problem here is that when a pbix report is served up to the user the server sends the definition of all the pages to the client in the first request and the changing between pages is then a client side operation. I do not believe there is any tracking of the click events on the page tabs at this point in time.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@GuestUser wrote:

The problem here is that when a pbix report is served up to the user the server sends the definition of all the pages to the client in the first request and the changing between pages is then a client side operation. I do not believe there is any tracking of the click events on the page tabs at this point in time.

Oh , then there is no way to identify whether the reports (present in multiple pages) are being used by the users or not

Thanks for the information !!

So this is probably not completely impossible, but I'm not aware of any automated or built in way of doing this.

You could use a technique used by bulk mail systems to track email views. You could use a tracking image with extra info in the query string of the url. The idea is that you create a small 1 pixel transparent gif (or you could use a company logo) and host it on a web server somewhere. Then you would create a disconnected table with a list of the pages in your report and a measure that returned the path to the gif image and then extra information in the query string.

eg.
http://webserver/images/tracking.gif?Report=MyReport&Page=1

Then you put an image on each page and each time it renders it will load this image and if you have logging switched on for the website with the image you can then load those logs and parse them to see which pages users are looking at. Not a great solution I know and prone to manual error, specially if people copy reports and pages, but if you have a few key reports that you want to track the page useage for then it might be OK.

Thanks for the workaround !!

Hi @GuestUser ,

please mark your post as solved :). This will help other with the same problem.

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Hi @d_gosbell ,

ok, than I misunderstood the question, and if this is the case then I don't know a way to track this. And I think there is no way at the moment to do this.

Best,

Kathrin

KBO
MVP

HI @GuestUser ,

may be this link can help you: https://insightsquest.com/2018/01/29/power-bi-report-server-monitoring/

Best,

Kathrin

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.