Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unable to Connect SQL server from Power bi Report Server in Direct Query mode

The import method works fine for SQL Server. However when i try to use direct query method, I'm unable to connect to the sql server from Power BI report server even if I manually enter the credentials. I'm getting "Password / User Name is incorrect" error. Someone kindly help me with this.

And is there any workaround for downloading the reoprts from report server as pdf from the report server?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Anonymous wrote:

Could you brief more about the paginated reports, do they behave like pdfs or are they interactive? Do we need a specific application to view them or create them.

They are more like PDFs, they can render out to a number of formats including Excel, CSV, PDF, etc. But they are aimed at fixed format, printable style reports not interact dashboards. The only interactivity is choosing from any parameters the report auther setup.

You only need a browser to view reports, but you need to user either Report Builder (free download) or SQL Server Developer Tools (SSDT) (also a free download) to get the SSDT designers you can download the community edition of Visual Studio and then get the Reporting Services extension (the community edition of VS has a special exception in it's licensing where companies can use it for the free with the SQL Server tools even if they are larger than the usual minimum size to qualify for the community licensing)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

If you are trying to use Windows credentials and the SQL Server is on a different machine have you configured kerberos authentication? (see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/configure-kerberos-powerbi-reports )

When you tried entering the credentials did you try entering the username using the  <domain>\<username> format?

@Anonymous wrote:

And is there any workaround for downloading the reoprts from report server as pdf from the report server?

The only way to do this currently is to author your report as a paginated report. PBIRS cannot export to PDF directly from PBIX based reports at this point in time (as of the Jan 2020 release)

Anonymous
Not applicable

No , I havent tried to use KerBeros.I will be doing that once I'm able to establish connection to the database by at least manually entering the credentials .

Yes ,  I did use my domain Name as well but it didn't work.However it was able to connct to database when I made the connection to create schedule refresh for the reports i used Import method for.

Could you brief more about the paginated reports, do they behave like pdfs or are they interactive? Do we need a specific application to view them or create them.

Thankyou for your time

@Anonymous wrote:

They are more like PDFs, they can render out to a number of formats including Excel, CSV, PDF, etc. But they are aimed at fixed format, printable style reports not interact dashboards. The only interactivity is choosing from any parameters the report auther setup.

You only need a browser to view reports, but you need to user either Report Builder (free download) or SQL Server Developer Tools (SSDT) (also a free download) to get the SSDT designers you can download the community edition of Visual Studio and then get the Reporting Services extension (the community edition of VS has a special exception in it's licensing where companies can use it for the free with the SQL Server tools even if they are larger than the usual minimum size to qualify for the community licensing)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you!! @d_gosbell 

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.