Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Deronhess
Frequent Visitor

The Time Zone Struggle is Real...

I have a report that I have written that simply counts the sales for today. The issue that I am having is that this report is using Power BI Report Server local (Eastern Time Zone) and a SQL Server in the same server rack set for the same Eastern Time Zone. The Total Orders is being calculated by "Total Orders = COUNT(SO_SalesOrderDetail[SalesOrderNo]) +0".

The issue is that everyday at 7:00PM EST the Total Orders resets to 0 as if a new day. I am sure that this has to do with UTC but I have nothing set for UTC. Both the Report Server and the SQL server are set to EST. I was hoping that the use of Report Server would just use the time zone of the server, but apparently it is using UTC as well and I am missing out on 5 hours of sales reporting everyday.

Any help will be appreciated. thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
Deronhess
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Greg_Deckler, I have seen that. The issue is that I do not have any time functions outside of a filter saying that the Order_Date is in this day. The issue is that something is using UTC as the base time/date and I am not sure why this would be the case using Report Server. I understand that using the cloud based version does that, but with local PBIRS and SQL Server I would think that it would just be using the server time zone.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

@Deronhess - Have you checked this thread? Convert UTC to local time zone in DAX - Microsoft Power BI Community

Follow on LinkedIn
@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.