Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Whitbread

Schedule PBI report to excel

Hello,

My customers need to automatically export one of my PowerBI Reports to Excel monthly, on the 1st of each month, and store it on a specific folder.

I use PowerBI Report Server (on premise). How can I do that ?

Thank you for your help !

Christophe Durlin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
goncalogeraldes
Super User
Super User

Hello there @Whitbread ! Currently there aren't ways of automating this extraction process (at least that I'm aware of), not even with Power Automate, unless you use a Premium PA license which may be a way to get there by calling the API via an HTTP action (not sure, maybe you can get an answer in the PA community). But using the HTTP action is a Premium action which is not included with the Office 365 license though. Anyway, there kinda is a workaround that you can try but it does have its limitations and considerations. Here is a link with a possible solution to your case:

How to Auto-Schedule Data Export From Power BI - sqlitybi

Please keep in mind that since you need the export to be once every 1st day of the month you would need a PA flow to refresh the dataset a trigger the excel export action via the R script. This may require you to create a separate dataset from the original one just for the automation purpose.

Hope this answer solves your problem!
If you need any additional help please @ me in your reply.
If my reply provided you with a solution, please consider marking it as a solution ✔️ or giving it a kudoe 👍
Thanks!

You can also check out my LinkedIn!

Best regards,
Gonçalo Geraldes 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
goncalogeraldes
Super User
Super User

Hello there @Whitbread ! Currently there aren't ways of automating this extraction process (at least that I'm aware of), not even with Power Automate, unless you use a Premium PA license which may be a way to get there by calling the API via an HTTP action (not sure, maybe you can get an answer in the PA community). But using the HTTP action is a Premium action which is not included with the Office 365 license though. Anyway, there kinda is a workaround that you can try but it does have its limitations and considerations. Here is a link with a possible solution to your case:

How to Auto-Schedule Data Export From Power BI - sqlitybi

Please keep in mind that since you need the export to be once every 1st day of the month you would need a PA flow to refresh the dataset a trigger the excel export action via the R script. This may require you to create a separate dataset from the original one just for the automation purpose.

Hope this answer solves your problem!
If you need any additional help please @ me in your reply.
If my reply provided you with a solution, please consider marking it as a solution ✔️ or giving it a kudoe 👍
Thanks!

You can also check out my LinkedIn!

Best regards,
Gonçalo Geraldes 

Hello Gonçalo,

Thank you for your tip. Very interesting ! Well, I need to export the report side of the PBI report and it uses  several data sources. Exporting data sources only will not help my customers.

I don't understand why Microsoft dosen't have that functionnality in standard mode. This is so useful for many people. I hope Microsoft will develop this soon !!

Thank you for your answer and thank you for the R side of PBI I didn't know about it.

Christophe

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.