Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mcho

Re-publishing Report does not update Application Intent

Using PowerBI Server Version 1.8.7485.35104

Using Power BI Desktop Version : 2.51.4885.2501 64-bit (October 2017)

I am not part of my businesses IT Team so I have limited support and access. 

I've recently been given a read only always on SQL server that reduces the impact of my queries on the main node that our application runs off. I've been able to move all SSRS reports to the correct Read Only Node.

However when I republish a PowerBI "Dashboard" with the Read Only node settings. It will republish the dashboard with all the data refreshed but the Data Source will show without the ApplicationIntent=ReadOnly.

There are multiple Dashboards that already exist and I have been unable to alter any of their data sources. Are data sources shared between different dashboards?? Are the other reports preventing me from changing the data sources? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mcho ,

You can use the following sql query to determine if the multi-subtnet failover works.

SELECT DATABASEPROPERTYEX(DB_NAME(), ‘Updateability’) AS Access;

SELECT

req.session_id,

req.status,

req.command,

req.cpu_time,

req.total_elapsed_time,

s.host_name,

s.program_name,

s.login_name

FROM sys.dm_exec_requests req

INNER JOIN sys.dm_exec_sessions s ON  req.session_id = s.session_id

WHERE s.program_name = ‘Mashup Engine’;

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
SQLShortbeard

Guy in a Cube from Microsoft published a video on this: https://guyinacube.com/2017/09/06/power-bi-sql-server-alwayson-availability-groups/

v-deddai1-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @mcho ,

You can use the following sql query to determine if the multi-subtnet failover works.

SELECT DATABASEPROPERTYEX(DB_NAME(), ‘Updateability’) AS Access;

SELECT

req.session_id,

req.status,

req.command,

req.cpu_time,

req.total_elapsed_time,

s.host_name,

s.program_name,

s.login_name

FROM sys.dm_exec_requests req

INNER JOIN sys.dm_exec_sessions s ON  req.session_id = s.session_id

WHERE s.program_name = ‘Mashup Engine’;

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,

Dedmon Dai

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

So I do not believe that is a reliable way of determining if Application Intent is being applied or not. As you have already noticed for PBIX files the "Connection String" is not stored in a traditional way in Report Server. It's only really the server and database that are reflected there.

My guess would be that the design time settings are possibly still being applied and you should probably check with your DBAs first.  They should be able to run a trace or check a DMV while a refresh is running to determine if this is working or not. 

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Thanks for reply.

I am pretty much doing roughly the same thing.

I have the multi-subtnet failover set but it doesnt replicate to the server after publishing.

Infact the refreshing from the PowerBI Desktop application works fine and i'm able to submit changes.

Also changing between the active and read only node also works.  The connection string will reflect the server address change but NOT append the Application=ReadOnly setting to the connection string.

@mcho wrote:

The connection string will reflect the server address change but NOT append the Application=ReadOnly setting to the connection string.

How can you tell? Are you getting told this by your DBA's?

The actual connection string will be built dynamically at run time, I don't believe you will see the "Application Intent" setting anywhere in the client side. Unfortunately I don't have an environment where I can check this for you. But if you are sure this is not working it's probably best to raise an official support ticket with Microsoft since the data providers in Power BI do not provide any way to edit the connection string directly so I don't believe there is any work around if this is not working correctly.

So I have enough access to see the data sources on the PowerBI Report Server side.

Based on my SSRS reports this is what i'm expecting to see.

ConnectionString.png

But no matter what i upload i get the following.

As you noted you cannot directly edit the connection string in PowerBI "reports" hence it's grayed out. I can get the server address to change as already mentioned but it won't reflect the application intent. I do notice that the string is arranged differently. i.e. server;catalogue vs data source = server; initial catalogue = RSSQLDB_NSW; extra settings.

ConnectionString2.png

That said i'll defiantely have the call lodged i was just hoping someone may have come across this issue.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.