Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Power Bi Report server don´t work

Hello. I'm having problems with my RLS. I'm configuring the rules in ssas and doing the direct query for power bi desktop. So far it works fine, the problem is when I deploy it to my company's Report Server, it doesn't work; the User can see everything.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous wrote:
I put the other option and I have the following error

An unexpected error occurred

An unexpected error has occurred. Try again later.
Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Is your SSAS instance on a different server to PBIRS? If so have you configured Kerberos authentication?

If you have not configured this you need to do this in order for RLS to work - see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/configure-kerberos-powerbi-reports 

If you have configured Kerberos and it was working previously you could be hitting this issue
https://darren.gosbell.com/2021/11/power-bi-report-server-an-unexpected-error-occurred-nov-2021/ 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous wrote:

Please try again later or contact support. If you contact support, please provide these details.

Is your SSAS instance on a different server to PBIRS? If so have you configured Kerberos authentication?

If you have not configured this you need to do this in order for RLS to work - see https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/report-server/configure-kerberos-powerbi-reports 

If you have configured Kerberos and it was working previously you could be hitting this issue
https://darren.gosbell.com/2021/11/power-bi-report-server-an-unexpected-error-occurred-nov-2021/ 

Anonymous
Not applicable

thank you very very much. there is an option without Kerberos, I made it

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi experts,

I'm using the PB desktop to create any reports whare the source is a SSAS tabular model. I create all reports but now I nees apply the RLS.

then I publish on PBIRS

I used this tutorial: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/analysis-services/tutorial-tabular-1200/supplemental-lesson-impleme..., but the role does not work.

I created a little model to test, like this:

after that, I created the role and add my 3 members:

I connected another user to the Power bi desktop, and the rule was applied.

But When I run the report, we can see that each row appears 3 times, once for each member I include in my security table.

Anybody can help me, please?

Anonymous
Not applicable

the account I use for testing has no privileges, so everything works fine on Power bi desktop. only in PBRS no.

But another thing I noticed is that in PBIRS I can't register members to my rls, could this be because I defined them in ssas?

Anonymous
Not applicable

the account I use for testing has no privileges, so everything works fine on Power bi desktop. only in PBRS no.

But another thing I noticed is that in PBIRS I can't register members to my rls, could this be because I defined them in ssas?

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm not sure how you are testing in PBIRS, but it could be an issue with the way you are doing this or how you have configured the data source in PBIRS. We have a bunch of SSAS models with RLS and they all work fine from PBIRS. If for instance you have a fixed windows account in the data source on PBIRS this would break RLS because the actual user account is not being passed through to SSAS.

@Anonymous wrote:

This is correct. The roles are part of the data model and because the model is in SSAS that is also where the roles are define. So you cannot configure the members in PBIRS for a model that is in SSAS. You can only do this in PBIRS if the data model is also in the PBIX file.

Anonymous
Not applicable

madalenaabreu_1-1646721142560.png

in credentials I selected windows authentication, 

afther i selected user the following credentials and put the credentials that have Admin privilege in ssas

@Anonymous wrote:

in credentials I selected windows authentication, 

afther i selected user the following credentials and put the credentials that have Admin privilege in ssas

So that is your issue. SSAS sees everyone as being that one admin user and gives everyone access to all the data.

If you are using RLS you should ALWAYS use the "current user" setting so that people get the correct role applied by the SSAS server.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

But When I run the report, we can see that each row appears 3 times, once for each member I include in my security table.

If you are a server admin on the SSAS server then this is the expected behaviour. Server Admins do not get RLS applied to them they can always see all the rows in all tables. You either need to test with another account or use a different account for doing admin activities on the server. At my work I have a separate admin account that I use for deploying changes to production, my normal account does not have any admin rights.

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors