Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Alienvolm
Helper IV
Helper IV

Power BI Report builder | Matrix displays empty row on top with totals

Hi, 

I'm not sure if this is the right section of the forum, as I'm using the Report Builder from an existing report published in the Power BI service. 

In the original query in Power BI Desktop, my tables work just fine. However, in the Power BI report builder, I get an extra empty row for each level of the matrix with my total values as a value of the field. When I try to add functions to calculate the totals at the bottom of the table, my values are not correct because the formula picks up the values in those empty rows too. 

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 11.30.41 AM.png

In the example above, the first row has empty values for Tenant ID and Batch, and the values of the columns are really the totals. So, if I sum the fields values for "Onboarded" in the total row, I get 66, while the correct value should be 33. 

How do I exclude that first empty row? It's really confusing...  

Thanks in advance! 

~Alienvolm

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

If you've just copied the query from Power BI Desktop using something like the Peformance analyzer you will find that the query itself is calculating this extra row with the totals in it. This is because the query will include a rollup group. Power BI does this because measures are not always additive.

There a few ways to potentially fix this.

1. you could simple add a filter in your report builder dataset to only include rows where the  IsGrandTotalRowTotal column equals False. (although the query would still be doing extra work to calculate these totals)
  2. You could edit the query manually to remove the rollup if you are familiar with those DAX functions
  3. You could try rebuilding the query using the query designer in Report Builder
  4. You could try using the Query Builder in DAX Studio https://daxstudio.org (which is a tool I developed) to re-build your query as this will generate a simpler query without the extra subtotals row

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Albsangon1
Frequent Visitor

Hi @Alienvolm .

I am having a similar issue, did you solve your problem?

As @d_gosbell has mentioned, removing rows from the query removes these empty rows, but on the other hand gives me problen when aggregating results (in particular my averages results).

Anyway, did you manage to make it work?

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

If you've just copied the query from Power BI Desktop using something like the Peformance analyzer you will find that the query itself is calculating this extra row with the totals in it. This is because the query will include a rollup group. Power BI does this because measures are not always additive.

There a few ways to potentially fix this.

1. you could simple add a filter in your report builder dataset to only include rows where the  IsGrandTotalRowTotal column equals False. (although the query would still be doing extra work to calculate these totals)
  2. You could edit the query manually to remove the rollup if you are familiar with those DAX functions
  3. You could try rebuilding the query using the query designer in Report Builder
  4. You could try using the Query Builder in DAX Studio https://daxstudio.org (which is a tool I developed) to re-build your query as this will generate a simpler query without the extra subtotals row

Hi, 
Thanks for the suggestions... 🙂 

I'm not very familiar with the report builder, so I'll try to work with DAX Studio instead. 🙂 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.