Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

bz_arsis
Frequent Visitor

Power BI Report Server licensing

Hi
I have the following setup:
Machine A with SQL-Enterprise license covered by SoftwareAssurance
Machine B with Power BI Report Server installed (just the App, no SQL-components at all)
The backend DB's for the PBIRS reside on Machine A.

My question is: Do we have to licence machine B with a SQL-Enterprise license covered by SA although we do only run the PBIRS bits on it?

Thank you for any hint,
Beat

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@bz_arsis wrote:

Hi
Machine B with Power BI Report Server installed (just the App, no SQL-components at all)

My question is: Do we have to licence machine B with a SQL-Enterprise license covered by SA although we do only run the PBIRS bits on it?

The answer is yes. In that configuration Server B still needs to have SQL Enterprise licenses. 

Note that in a 2 server configuration like that Server A does not need to be running enterprise, it could be running a cheaper edition like Standard (assuming that nothing else on that machine requires Enterprise)

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

@bz_arsis wrote:

Hi

The answer is yes. In that configuration Server B still needs to have SQL Enterprise licenses. 

Note that in a 2 server configuration like that Server A does not need to be running enterprise, it could be running a cheaper edition like Standard (assuming that nothing else on that machine requires Enterprise)

Hi

Thanks for your answer to my question!

Can we avoid a secon SQL-Enterprise lince when we install the PBIRS-bits on Server A then?

@bz_arsis wrote:

Can we avoid a secon SQL-Enterprise lince when we install the PBIRS-bits on Server A then?

Yes, if you install PBIRS onto server A you would not need additional licenses. 

Many thanks!

KBO
MVP

Hi @bz_arsis,

as far as I know you only need to licence the SQL Server. You can use the SA key for the licence key for the Report Server :). See here how this works: https://youtu.be/6CQnf-NGtpU

Here some interesting facts about the licensing model: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Power-BI-Licensing-in-Pictures-Updated/ba-p/1291304

Also you need a Pro licence for every content manager and publisher.

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.