Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

lukejohnson
Frequent Visitor

Poor chart and image quality from Report Builder/Server

I am getting really bad quality when exporting, particularly to PDF. This happens from both Report Builder and Report Server. Charts that sit in front of a background color have no anti-aliasing and look awful.

Can't find any applicable settings that I can adjust in either the Report Builder or the Report Server.

Example:

lukejohnson_0-1612236602995.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
lukejohnson
Frequent Visitor

@Petebro turns out this looks like an issue with Adobe Reader but specifically with these reports. If I view in browser (like Chrome) it renders correctly.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
AZ2020

I have the same issue, this is not a solved matter. Can we please have this open again and ask the support to look into this issue? 

Hey mate,

Its crude but the only way I was able to fix was to apply a background to all charts (and match the background colour of whatever was behind it).

Hope this helps.

Petebro
Employee
Employee

Thanks for the update.

I don't think it's solved. Do I need to log a case?

It just seems to be these PDFs generated by Report Server that don't display correctly in Adobe Reader (I've tried multiple random computers).

However, it displays correctly in edge, chome, and other viewers? 

lukejohnson
Frequent Visitor

@Petebro turns out this looks like an issue with Adobe Reader but specifically with these reports. If I view in browser (like Chrome) it renders correctly.

@Petebro I don't think this counts as "solved". 

Using Print to PDF instead of Export to PDF from Power BI Paginated Report Builder produces better results. Please see attached snips of PDFs opened in Adobe Acrobat. Something seems wrong with the rendering on Export to PDF.  

PowerBI - Print To PDF - Includes anti-aliasing along the edge of the PNG24 transparency (interface between dark blue and white). 

PrintToPDF.png

PowerBI - Export To PDF - Zero anti-aliasing along the edge of the PNG24 transparency (interface between dark blue and white). 

ExportToPDF.png

  

@Petebro Can I please get this opened as a support case for further investigation? Export quality is awful and Adobe Reader is of course the most common PDF reader.

Even text from a chart is being rendered poorly.

I think this will need to be addressed with the support team. Can you open a case / ticket with them?

Thanks for the comment. @dhomburg 

The problem I have is on a subscription (to automatically generate my reports) there is no option to choose between print or export.

Not sure if there is another way of achieving it programatically.

Petebro
Employee
Employee

Out of curriosity if you remove the background color does it have the correct anti-aliasing when exported?

It does actually. Seems to be an issue no matter what. Also happens with embbed images that have transparent background.

Petebro
Employee
Employee

Can you post the screenshot from the render as well? I'll file a bug for an investigation just trying to add as much detail as possible. 

It seems like the simple version is just any chart with background color set?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.