Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

On premise data Gateway

Hello everyone,

I want to understand how does on prmise data gateways work, i am looking for the better undersanding on the below points.

• I am working for the banking industry, as you thought by now, we care for data security more than any industry, hence i want to understand how the data gateways work, is data gateway process on the azure.

• We want to make sure everything on premise, non cloude architecture.

• As i know we use data gateways to refresh the data, is there any other purpose we use gateways

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
KBO
MVP

Hi @Anonymous ,

on this side you find a nice explaination of the components of a on premises architecture (https://www.element61.be/en/competence/power-bi-reports-server) It is really simple If you are on premises your data and Power BI will be in the same environment so you don't need a gateway to push the data to the Power BI Report Server. 🙂

You can also use a Premium Licencing model for on premises but this dosn't mean that you must use the cloud it is only the licencing model you use.

If you need more information you can also write me a direct message :).

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
KBO
MVP

Hi @Anonymous ,

on this side you find a nice explaination of the components of a on premises architecture (https://www.element61.be/en/competence/power-bi-reports-server) It is really simple If you are on premises your data and Power BI will be in the same environment so you don't need a gateway to push the data to the Power BI Report Server. 🙂

You can also use a Premium Licencing model for on premises but this dosn't mean that you must use the cloud it is only the licencing model you use.

If you need more information you can also write me a direct message :).

Best,

Kathrin

If this post has helped you, please give it a thumbs up!
Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

saglamtimur
Resolver II
Resolver II

It's basically a bridge/connection between PowerBI service which runs on cloud, and your data which is on premise. If you want everything on premise, like me on my current project, you may consider using PowerBI Reporting Server.

If my post solved your problem, mark my post as a solution to help others to quickly find it and also please give it a 👍

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @saglamtimur  for your response, much appriciated.

As you suggested , we are planning for on premise Power bi report server with premium capacity. 

We are in preception that, we need to use power bi gateways to connect on premise datasource to power bi reporting server.

in this scenario, i hope power bi gateways process completly within on premise.

I need to make sure there is no spill out of data or process to azure as per the GDPR policy.

Thank you in advance

You do not need the date gateway to connect Report Server to your on premise data. However, Power BI Premium is different from Report Server, it is in the cloud. The gateway would be for connecting your on premise data to your Premium workspaces in the cloud. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.