Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Yves
Regular Visitor

On Premis Report Server Licence

Help, if we have SQL Server Enterprise with active Software Assurance (SA). Does this include use of on-prem Power BI Report Server without requiring a Power BI Premium subscription?

I explained this to our local Microsoft guy in South Africa, but they still say we require to buy a Premium subscription at a reduce cost of $34 000 yearly?

We do not have any cloud need, just the on prem Power BI Report Server, output reports to be seen by 3 Managers for now. e.g. I design a report publish to on premis, they view the report. The data is not allowed to be in the cloud.

12 REPLIES 12
Yves
Regular Visitor

Thank you David, i'll have a look and do the download.

Yves
Regular Visitor

Thank you Riccardo, this is very helpfull and we can start the procurement process for the Pro licenses.

I did install the trial on site report server and trial PowerBI Pro licenses. At the momenet when I want to piblish it defaults to the cloud, trying to publish to my free cloud space. Do you know were on the PowerBI desktop I can change the settings to point to my Report server?

Right now are 2 versions of Power BI, the one that are you looking for is called Power BI Desktop (Report Server) that you can download from the same page where you downloaded Report Server, that version allows you upload reports to the report server, not the cloud. maybe the next month they will unify the versions.... 

markc
Frequent Visitor

I am in the same boat as you, only in the US. We are just large enough to warrant SQL Server Enterprise with a SA but can't afford the $5,000/mo usage fee. I read a few posts yesterday hinting at possibly using the $10/user fee schedule, but I would like something more concrete.

We have two or three users that would create reports and about a dozen or so that would view them. We have no need nor the desire to put our data in the cloud.

Hopefully someone can shed a little more light on this.

Check out this blog post:

When you buy Power BI Premium, your subscription includes capacity in the cloud for the Power BI service as well as a license to run Power BI Report Server in your own on-premises capacity. If you buy Power BI Premium P1, for example, you get eight virtual cores (“v-Cores”) of capacity in the cloud, plus a license to run Power BI Report Server on up to eight processor cores on-premises.

Alternatively, if you have SQL Server Enterprise with active Software Assurance, you can use your Enterprise per-core licenses to run Power BI Report Server on-premises. (They don’t give you any capacity in the cloud, though.)

Either way you license Power BI Report Server, “publisher” users who publish Power BI reports to the report server for others to access need Power BI Pro licenses, whereas “reader” users who merely view reports don’t need any per-user licenses.

<Either way you license Power BI Report Server, “publisher” users who publish Power BI reports to the report server for others to <access need Power BI Pro licenses, whereas “reader” users who merely view reports don’t need any per-user licenses.

We develop and sell enterprise aplications to our customers. Some applications include SSRS reports. As a minimum, we require SSRS 2016 Express to run our reports. The users do not create any reports. If we go with Power BI Report server what a pricing model for us and our clients might be? Will they have to buy any license? For now we dont need a cloud service.

Thanks

Even if the users don't create any reports, your customers would still need to license the report server itself (either via Power BI Premium or via SQL Server Enterprise + Software Assurance).

I see, thanks.

Either way you license Power BI Report Server, “publisher” users who publish Power BI reports to the report server for others to access need Power BI Pro licenses, whereas “reader” users who merely view reports don’t need any per-user licenses.

Is there no way around this? My company is very anti-cloud and needing Power BI Pro licenses (cloud account) for an on premises solution is a no go for us. Otherwise we would very much like to have PBIRS.

Hi. I need information regarding power bi report server where I can host my report.

If anyone can help me what I need to setup and what will be the cost. I need that for my project to share the details with client to buy the license. Client want to setup in his office server. Where we can publish report and other clients can see the reports. What have to do for that and what are the things needed to setup and also license cost.

Thanks
Aamir

You only need to purchase a set of licenses. You don't need to create user accounts in the cloud if you don't want to.

Thank you for the response, that eases my mind. Looking forward to use PBIRS in our company Smiley Happy

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.