Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

IO Error '6' when schedule refresh

Hello Everyone, 

Good Day!

I keep on getting IO error '6' while schedule a refresh in report server. 

I can refresh using Power BI desktop without any issue.

But when it comes to report server, the report may or may not refresh and when it failed it will definitely show IO error '6'. 

The error happened intermittent, anyone know what is IO error '6' about and what should I do to avoid this error? 

SessionID: 2dd0ba01-6f91-48c0-b0b0-b8957f043d4b
[0] -1055784932: We got the IO error '6' while trying to access the path '\\SAMPLEFOLDER\*'.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
[1] -1055784934: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface. Please review the error message and provider documentation for further information and corrective action.
[2] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
[3] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
[4] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.
[5] -1055784932: The command has been canceled.. The exception was raised by the IDbCommand interface.

4 REPLIES 4
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

IO error 6 means the file handle was invalid. Which often means the file does not exist. Is there some process that is re-creating the file in question. The other thing to keep in mind is that the access to the file depends on the credentials you enter for the data source, so you can have permissions issues if that account does not have access to the file in question. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Gosbell,

Thanks for your answer. 

Referring to statement: "Is there some process that is re-creating the file in question", are you referring to the query of the Power BI? I did have multiple query for same data source. I am not sure this might be one of the root cause?

The credential that I entered have permission to enter the data source location, and the report server also able to successfully refresh the data but intermittently. However, not all Power BI report is having the same issue. Some report do not face the IO error at all. 

@Anonymous wrote:

Referring to statement: "Is there some process that is re-creating the file in question", are you referring to the query of the Power BI?

No, I was wondering if this was a static file or if it was periodically exported from some other system. Or if someone manually updates it occasionally. If this file was generated by some other IT system and it periodically deletes and re-creates this file that could maybe account for this sort of intermittent error.

I don't think multiple Power BI files would be an issue as they should only request read access when opening the file. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Gosbell,

Yes you are right, i set a schedular job to extract data into the folder overwriting existing excel source file. However, both schedular job and power BI scheduler refresh do not happen at the same time. Will that be the root cause? 

Anyway to resolve? 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.