Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

thomasreick
Resolver I
Resolver I

How to..., avoid others download rpeort to PBI-Desktop

Hi there,

can you please give some hints on how-to avoid downloading a PBI-Report-File (*.pbix) that ha been uploaded to Power BI Report Server?

The idea is to deactivate  or hide the "Edit in Power BI Desktop"-Button from being clicked.

thx for vaulabel input.

Thomas

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
HashamNiaz
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @thomasreick !

You can assign Browser role to users, they will only be able to view the report. Please see below MS docs for role specifications;

Power BI Report Server Roles 

Regards,

Hasham

View solution in original post

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Just to extend a bit on Hasham's answer (which is correct) you also need to make sure that the users just in the Browser role and that they are NOT also in the Publisher or Content Manager roles. Being in either of those other two roles is what will make the "Edit in Power BI Desktop" button appear

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
thomasreick
Resolver I
Resolver I

Good Morning,

thank you very much for this input.

Now I know what to do.

thx and have a Nice Christmas

Take care

Thomas

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Just to extend a bit on Hasham's answer (which is correct) you also need to make sure that the users just in the Browser role and that they are NOT also in the Publisher or Content Manager roles. Being in either of those other two roles is what will make the "Edit in Power BI Desktop" button appear

Correct @d_gosbell, Thanks for pointing it out.

Your user just needs to be only in [Browser] role.

Regards

Hasham

HashamNiaz
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @thomasreick !

You can assign Browser role to users, they will only be able to view the report. Please see below MS docs for role specifications;

Power BI Report Server Roles 

Regards,

Hasham

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.