Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

abhishekdutuk

How SSRS Scheduling done where metadata connects Listner of High Available DB

Hi My Senario is  I have a High Availability Database ( DB1 & DB2) The listner say its DBL

My report SSRS Application is also installed in 2 seperate server (Prod and DR) and the metadata (ReportServer and ReportServerTemp DB)  is configured with the listner DBL.

Now My question is how the scheduler of reports will behave ?

1: Do i have to create same set of Schedulers in both Report Prod and DR Application Servers?

In Case if Disaster recovery how my schedulers will pick up the reports ? how Report Server will understand which server is active at that time?

@ssrs

3 REPLIES 3
BI_gsmkannan

hi @abhishekdutuk ,

@d_gosbell is right.
Below is the major part in the documentation

Steps to complete disaster recovery of Report Server Databases

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/database-engine/availability-groups/windows/reporting-services...

The following steps need to be completed after a Always On availability groups failover to a secondary replica:

1. Stop the instance of the SQL Agent service that was being used by the primary database engine hosting the Reporting Services databases.
  2. Start SQL Agent service on the computer that is the new primary replica.
  3. Stop the Report Server service.

If the report server is in native mode, stop the report server Windows server using Reporting Services configuration manager.

1. Start the report server service - this will connect to the primary db node of Always-on and recreate the jobs automatically 
  2. Verify that reports can run against the new primary replica.

Other means is kind of a workaround that you might need to recreate the jobs with Step 0 to check primary node of SQL. However this is nott recommended when you have more number of subscriptions 😉

@BI_gsmkannan wrote:

you might need to recreate the jobs with Step 0 to check primary node of SQL. 

No. You do not need to manually recreate any jobs. When you restart the Report Server service it will verify that all the necessary SQL agent jobs are present and will create them if needed. 

d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

SSRS does not fully support automatic failovers of high availability clusters. There are steps in the documentation that need to be performed after a SQL failover to ensure all the schedules are recreated on the new primary. see Reporting Services with availability groups - SQL Server Always On | Microsoft Learn (it's basically a certain order of stopping/starting some services)

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.