Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Moosa-Ali
Regular Visitor

Error while scheduling refresh for reports on Power BI report server

MoosaAli_0-1644921418555.png

While trying to schedule a refresh for any report on my report server, the following error is returned (Screenshot attached). 
All data source verifications are sucessfull  and the report is manually refreshed without errors. The older schedules are working perfectly but I am unable to schedule a new one. Please help

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Moosa-Ali ,

From the error message, we can know the issue is caused by the connection to report server database. In your scenario, I would suggest you check detail error information in Reporting Services error log (default location: %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\<SQL Server Instance>\Reporting Services\LogFiles) around the time that the error message thrown out.

If you see the error "System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding" in log files, the issue is that the connection to report server database is timeout. Then you can follow Jin's suggestion to fix the issue: ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerStorageException: An e... 

An you alos could try the following solution:

The fix is to grant sysadmin Privilege to Report server service account .

refer:https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/8decb9e2-ce0f-4f5a-a6ab-4ed2a7fe21e0/an-error-o... 

Similar question refer:(final it was actually an authorization issue, the virtual account lacked some sort of permissions so  user changed to a domain account and now it works fine)

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/An-error-occurred-within-the-report-server-database-SSRS-Po... 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Best Regards

Lucien

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Moosa-Ali ,

Has your problem been solved, if so, please consider Accept a correct reply as the solution or share your own solution to help others find it.

Best Regards
Lucien

v-luwang-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Moosa-Ali ,

From the error message, we can know the issue is caused by the connection to report server database. In your scenario, I would suggest you check detail error information in Reporting Services error log (default location: %programfiles%\Microsoft SQL Server\<SQL Server Instance>\Reporting Services\LogFiles) around the time that the error message thrown out.

If you see the error "System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: Timeout expired.  The timeout period elapsed prior to completion of the operation or the server is not responding" in log files, the issue is that the connection to report server database is timeout. Then you can follow Jin's suggestion to fix the issue: ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.ReportServerStorageException: An e... 

An you alos could try the following solution:

The fix is to grant sysadmin Privilege to Report server service account .

refer:https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/ie/en-US/8decb9e2-ce0f-4f5a-a6ab-4ed2a7fe21e0/an-error-o... 

Similar question refer:(final it was actually an authorization issue, the virtual account lacked some sort of permissions so  user changed to a domain account and now it works fine)

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/An-error-occurred-within-the-report-server-database-SSRS-Po... 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Best Regards

Lucien

Petebro
Employee
Employee

Can you provide a little more details. What types of data sources are being used in the reports for example?

Our data source is MSSQL Server on-premises. Data is loaded from this SQL server into Power BI.
I beileve it would be helpful to mention here that we are using the free version of Power BI, could that be an issue?

gharstev
Regular Visitor

hi - we're having the same issue today - started on last release (Sept 2021) and after upgrading to current (Jan 2022). @Petebro any ideas?

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors