Firstly, I'm new in the world of Power BI as you will see below.
We would like to setup a Power BI Report Server infrastructure with import model (no DirectQuery).
We have already configured:
- a new Power BI Report Server which is working
- Kerberos is enabled so that the end users can access the reports on the web front of Power BI RS
- the BI experts use Power BI Desktop to build their reports and publish them to Power BI RS
- those BI experts use basic authentication for the datasources
- According to our policies, we cannot use on-premises Active Directory to access data sources (only Azure AD with SAML or OIDC; Kerberos for Power BI RS is an allowed exception) ; therefore we use basic authentication for datasources.
- the BI experts need to publish their reports to Power BI RS without changing the data sources credentials after the publishing.
- Is there a way to configure the data sources credentials only on Power BI RS side? I looked at the "scheduled refresh" and "stored credentials", but not sure it fits our needs.
- Is the Power BI RS platform able to connect to datasources using its service account?
- Or do we have to build something specific (using scripting on our CI/CD plateform for example)?