Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Founder
Frequent Visitor

Connecting to Fabric Warehouse data from a Power BI report running on report server returns an error

When I create the report, everything runs ok in the report builder

I connect to the Fabric Warehouse

Founder_3-1705986456461.png

I can run the report from inside the report designer

Founder_1-1705986243738.png

When save to SQL Report server, and try to run the report, I get the following error

Founder_2-1705986360523.png

We couldn't connect to the Analysis Services server. Make sure you've entered the connection string correctly.
Request ID xxx
Time
Service version/powerbi/libs

I want to include this in an embedded report, so I can't just publish the report on fabric, since I'm only on F8

2 REPLIES 2
v-binbinyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Founder ,

Power BI reports can connect to a number of data sources. Depending on how data is used, different data sources are available. Data can be imported or data can be queried directly using DirectQuery, or a live connection to SQL Server Analysis Services. Some data sources are available in Power BI Desktop that is optimized for use with Power BI Report Server, but they aren't supported when published to Power BI Report Server.

Fabric Warehouse are not supported when published to Power BI Report Server.

For more details, you could read related document: Power BI report data sources in Power BI Report Server - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,
Community Support Team_Binbin Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Why are they available as options in the application if they can never be used in production?

I'm looking at options for using Fabric with an F8 SKU from an embedded Power BI report. 

All options seem to be too expensive for the use case. 

• Fabric F64, the minimum that allows PowerBI Embedded, is over $8000 a month
  • Power BI Premium per capacity SKUs is $4,995 Per month for P1 SKU
  • Power BI Embedded is over $1000 a month, plus the cost of fabric
  • Power BI Premium is $20 per user
  • Power BI Report Server doesn't support Fabric

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.