Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

pz68lk
Advocate I
Advocate I

Company branding of Power BI Report Services browser interface not identical to SSRS

After installing Power BI Report Server, I have noted that the branding package (identical user for SSRS) does not translate the colors the same for the left (vertical) menu bar (example: Site Settings).  We did a scaled-out deployment where both SSRS and PBIRS were sharing the same Reporting Services database.  Both sites looked identical (SSRS and PBIRS) expect for the area of the interface noted above, which mostly affects the font colors.  The inactive menu options show up in a grayish hue for the font color, while the active/selected menu option shows up in white in PBIRS.  However, under SSRS they were both dark blue, based on our uploaded branding package.

We have since removed the SSRS database instance from the scale-out deployment and uninstalled 2016 SSRS, just leaving PBIRS running.  Even after that, this issue with the colors not being the same as SSRS for the area of the interface noted above still remains.

Does anyone know of any issues or changes to the branding templates between SSRS and PBIRS, or is this a bug with PBIRS?

2 REPLIES 2
v-yulgu-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @pz68lk,

Do you mean the font color (in the left menu) was not changed in Power BI report server?

Power BI report server

1.PNG

SQL Server Reporting Services

2.PNG

Based on my test in different browsers, the font color will be changed to the corresponding color as configured in branding package when we hover over the selection. 

If I have something misunderstood, please correct me and show us the screenshots. 

Regards,
Yuliana Gu

Community Support Team _ Yuliana Gu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Yes.  That is exactly what I'm referring to (left sidebar menu font differences between SSRS and PBIRS).  I applied our SSRS branding package which DID change the font color in SSRS, but was not working in PBIRS.  Maybe the version of the branding package changed since creating it under SSRS, or there's a new one for PBIRS?  All I can say is I experimented with our branding package elements and could not get it to work, but yet it worked flawlessly under SSRS for the left menu pane font colors as defined in our branding package.

I am providing screenshots I saved so you can see the left menu and the differences in font colors using the EXACT SAME company branding package with both SSRS and PBIRS. (Using latest version of PBIRS or v14.0.600.286).

If you're stating it's working perhaps you could provide me with the JSON files (before and after) to alter the colors as you noted in your reply.  I'm providing you the evidence below that it does NOT work and would like further clarification.  It makes NO sense that it shows up one way under SSRS and another way under PBIRS with the EXACT same branding package.

Here's how the company branding package looks in SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services):

SSRS (Left Side Color Scheme).png

Here's how the same branding package looks with PBIRS (Power BI Reporting Server):

PBIRS (Left Side Color Scheme).png

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.