Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

BUG in deployed SSRS PBIX? when generating measures in the same tabular model in a new PBIX

We have a pretty simple set of reports. We are using DirectQuery to a SQL 2016 Tabular model

We have a couple of simple measures defined in the Tab Model. the DAX for these looks like this

DAX in tabular model:

Tickets Logged:= CALCULATE(SUM('Ticket_vw'[Ticket Count]), USERELATIONSHIP(Ticket_vw[Date Call Logged],Date_Hierarchy_vw[Date]))

Tickets Resolved:= CALCULATE(SUM('Ticket_vw'[Ticket Count]), USERELATIONSHIP(Ticket_vw[Date Call Resolved],Date_Hierarchy_vw[Date]))

We link to this using DirectQuery to build a report that can be deployed. We deploy the report. Everything works fine.

We edit the PBIX or start a new PBIX and add a measure in Desktop (this is exactly what we expect users to do when they Edit in PowerBI Desktop.

DAX in PowerBI

Net Tickets = [Tickets Logged] - [Tickets Resolved]

Monkey about with this until you get a bad relationship issue

The Desktop edition shows the broken visual

Couldn't load the data for this visual
An unexpected exception occurred.

OK, fair enough. I did somehting stupid. However if I refresh the SSRS screen with the wokring report open it also now gives me the error. Its not been changed but it now breaks. It breaks even if its a different user looking at it. 

This is BAD! something I did in PBI Desktop on my machine has broken a deployed report on the SSRS Server!

If I restart the SSAS tabular instance or reprocess the model the SSRS report will start working again. So its somehting to so with caching or possibly an issue at the tabular end

I run a set of Extended Event traces on the Tabular instance and run through teh steps again. No error reported in the Extended Events. the traces look the same for a working refresh of the SSRS report as they do when the same report comes back with "Broken"

Looking in the RSPowerBI log I see three errors (there are three broken visuals)

All of whihc look pretty much like this

2017-08-31 15:24:38.8004|ERROR|2213|PBI.DS.HostTrace|type:Error;message:Writing error DSR.Details: Message=Failed to execute the DAX query., HResult=0x80004005, ErrorCode=QuerySystemError, Language=en-US, ProviderErrorCode=0xC1000016, ProviderErrorMessage=[<pi>An unexpected exception occurred.</pi>], ProviderGenericMessage=[Internal error: An unexpected exception occurred.], ErrorSource=PowerBI| RequestID = 61437fcd-2b87-a36e-4fb9-d7d69e7829cc ClientSessionID = 86add49c-b927-d2be-f26f-42395f3c100e

can anyone suggest what a next step might be and or what I might adjust to see what can be done.

I did wonder if I could adjust the security settings in the PBIX that we were editing but it doesn't show up as a connection in the connection details.

regards

Steve

This is all running on one DEV server with admin acocunts for two different devs, so I'm not expecting any permissions issues.

This is the GA release running the accompanying GA release version of PBI Desktop, all running agianst SQL2016 SP1

many thanks

Steve
1 REPLY 1
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

I'm not able to reproduce the issue. Which Power BI report server version did you run? Please try to run the latest version: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55790

Do you have any ideas? @mgmeyer @Jon-Heide

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.