Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

hana123
Frequent Visitor

Accessing HTML table Data through API using Power Query

Hi everyone. 

I have a url (HTML) not json like this one (the url down is not real) :

http://10.2.92.196:5000/abc/  

i should  add employee number after the / 

and it will return a table with one row of employee information 

i need to create a dashboard in power bi that allow the employee enters his number and his information table is returned to him

i do not know if this even possible in power bi ?

thank you .. 

3 REPLIES 3
v-henryk-mstf
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @hana123 ,

Yes, it is possible to create a dashboard in Power BI that allows an employee to enter their employee number and displays their information in a table. Here's one way you could do it:

• In Power BI, create a new dashboard and add a text input control to the dashboard. This will allow the user to enter their employee number.
  • Add a table visualization to the dashboard. This will be used to display the employee information.
  • In the text input control, set up a measure that concatenates the URL with the employee number entered by the user. For example:
URL & "/" & EmployeeNumber
  • Use the Power BI REST API to retrieve the employee information from the URL. You can do this by creating a custom function in Power Query that uses the Web.Contents function to retrieve the data.
  • Use the custom function to retrieve the employee information and load it into the table visualization on the dashboard.
  • Set up the dashboard to refresh whenever the employee number is changed, so that the employee information is always up to date.

If the problem is still not resolved, please provide detailed error information and let me know immediately. Looking forward to your reply.

Best Regards,
Henry

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-henryk-mstf Henry, please use the term report rather than dashboard. Dashboards are not interactive beyond hover and click through.

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Dynamic M query parameters in Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Learn are only available for Direct Query data sources, not for Web data sources.

Use a PowerApps visual inside your Power BI report instead.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.