Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

kerski
Helper I
Helper I

Creating Trigger within Power BI Report

I verified I am on premium in US East 2, my dataset and report are on a Fabric workspace, and I'm using a horizontal bar chart with an x-and-y axis that are not date based.  I don't see the option to create a Trigger.  Am I missing a step?

kerski_0-1687899214810.png

13 REPLIES 13
RonyMSFT
Community Admin
Community Admin

Data Activator is part of Fabric. Enrollment in Microsoft Fabric's public preview is a requirement to participate in Data Activator's private preview. 

Understood, but I shared a screenshot confirming I followed those steps and still can't setup a trigger in a Power BI Report in a Fabric workspace.

I can create a Reflex artifact for Azure Event Hub in that workspace, but not for a report in that workspace.

Your screenshot shows that Fabric is deactivated for entire organization

Okay, so I turned it on.  How was I able to create Fabric workspaces and Fabric items before then?  I had several workspaces before May and June with Dataflow 2.0, Notebooks, etc. without this setting turned on.

kerski_0-1688066558047.png

That is a bit of mystery and I can't speak to that 🙂  Was just pointing out a low hanging fruit that may have been impacting your ability to create the trigger. 

Are you now able to see the option in Power BI reports?

I waited 15 minutes, created a brand new Fabric workspace, uploaded a dataset, created a report in the browser, saved it to the same Fabric workspace, made sure the x-and-y were not datetime, and this is the more options menu:

kerski_0-1688068272813.png

@kerski , I discussed with the team.

1. do you see a Data Activator listed in the workload switcher in the lower-left? 

RonyMSFT_0-1688074760900.png

2. Can you try refreshing the browser? It could be that there is some longer than normal delay for the tenant level setting to propagate.

1) I refreshed the browser and I see the Data Activator listed in the workload.

2) I thought maybe it was a dataset issue, so I created a Dataflow 2.0 loaded some CSV into a lakehouse, the dataset was automatically created for me.  Then I created a report from that dataset (all in a Fabric workspace) and these are the more options I get:

kerski_0-1688078114872.png

I came back this morning, and now the option appears.  I think we just had to let the provisioning work its way through.  Problem solved! Thanks.

WillT
Community Admin
Community Admin

Hi - thanks for getting in touch. You'll need to make sure your admin has enabled Data Activator for you as it's a private preview feature. In the tenant admin settings page there's an option to enable it. More details in the docs here: dataActivator/ConsolidatedDocs.md at main · microsoft/dataActivator · GitHub

I did update the settings prior to posting this message.  I could create a reflex artifact manually as well.

And to verify these are the settings I had turned on: 

kerski_0-1688055827349.png

My guess is you need to turn on Create Fabric Items as the data activator is a component of fabric, so even though you enabled the Trident preview, you still need to uncheck the default box above and turn on the Fabric item creation

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Update Carousel

Fabric Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors