08-27-2021 19:43 PM
My dashboard features the end-user capability to "select" fields shown. Hope you are able to explore this technique further!
1. Select Metric starts with a table calculation that creates a single column with a text value representing each option.
2. Selected Metric measure uses SELECTEDVALUE() to find the single value, filtered by the slicer in the Selections pane.
3. Selected Metric is used in SWITCH() statements in other measures to change which field they summarize/aggregate.
4. For View By, these three steps are repeated so that the user can choose between the timeframe TY (this year) or v LY (change since last year) to summarize over.
*I was inspired by a similar strategy to choose columns using parameters and case statements in Tableau.
1. This strategy only works with numerical fields since DAX only aggregates numbers, not text (@dev - functionality like the first summarization in title text functions would be useful to carry over to DAX).
2. The name of the measure must be static text so the names and values are selected separately. I had to get creative with overlaying text boxes and using measures for titles, but sometimes "Metric" or blanks appear in places like tooltips.
Not a limitation: Data Size. This method does not add to the data size and I have tested it with live connections to large (private) data sources.
The dashboard also contains visually-quiet visuals with hidden background features including buttons/bookmarks, themes, time intelligence, and custom tooltips. The data source is a small, meaningless Excel file.
Georgia Institute of Technology Class of 2024