Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

newton80

gateway overview

Hi!

Im new about PowerBi. Im testing the system Microsoft PowerBi for my Company to undestand if it could be fine for our Target.

At moment i have a Free Account. I have installed PowerBi Desktop and i have used it to convoy data from differents source (example 1 from excel, example 2 from mysql). I have done Etl and created a Model than created Reports and published it into PowerBi Service. I have seen it using app or using embedding code in a intranet webside.

All perfect! 

Now i want use the gateway to have data auto-refresh(scheduled) from Mysql. I have downloaded Gateway and i have installed 'on-promise gateway'. Then i have configured On Promised Gateway into PowerBi Service and i see Gateway Online into Setting Page. Again i have connected it to Mysql Data Source and tested the connection : Its OK!

But if then i go on DataSet Page and i click on Schedule Refresh i can read that to use Scheduled Refresh i need PowerBi Pro.

If i click on Refresh Data Now, i see a warning icon on dataset and i can read the reason :  error happened - Data gateway ()Power BI - personal) is offline or not reacheable.

Question 1: Why it , if my on promises Gateway is online and connected to that Dataset? Cant i use Gateway having free Account???

Question 2:  Is there a difference between Personal Gateway or On Promises Gateway that could help me?

Thank u for answer !

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Refreshing data from an on-premises source requires a Pro license as detailed here:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/

Without a Pro license, you will not have the ability to refresh data from an on-premises source through the gateway, regardless of whether or not the gateway is installed and online.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

View solution in original post

If I base my answer off of the pricing guidance, my answer is "No, it should not make any difference" if you use Personal versus Enterprise gateway. Refreshing on-premises data shoudl be refreshing on-premises data regardless of the type of gateway used. However, I have no real way of testing this as I have a Pro license.

Latest book!:

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Refreshing data from an on-premises source requires a Pro license as detailed here:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/

Without a Pro license, you will not have the ability to refresh data from an on-premises source through the gateway, regardless of whether or not the gateway is installed and online.

Latest book!:

Thank u smoupre.

Is it the same answer for Personal Gateway ??? Or if install Gateway in the personal way i can resolve my problem?

Thank u

If I base my answer off of the pricing guidance, my answer is "No, it should not make any difference" if you use Personal versus Enterprise gateway. Refreshing on-premises data shoudl be refreshing on-premises data regardless of the type of gateway used. However, I have no real way of testing this as I have a Pro license.

Latest book!:

Thank u!

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors