Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

JaromBIDEVatDK
Helper II
Helper II

What does this mean in PQE online

I am trying to add a connection that works fine in the desktop PQE but not online. Online I get the following error message but what does it mean? Where can I find a list of available conncetions? I have tried all the auth types and they all give the same error. Is it something to do with the \\Server\DB string? 

JaromBIDEVatDK_0-1641484539303.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You do not need to have a separate gateway for each query with the same server/db.  You should have one connection for the server/db and then use that same connection for each query.  Only one gateway can be utilized by dataflow.

You can specify a gateway in a dataflow a couple of different ways.  When you go to get data > SQL (or other data source) > enter your server and database info and then choose a gateway from the list.  Then you will select an authentication type.  If the authentication type, server and database match one that is configured as a connection on the gateway you selected, the user name and password will populate automatically.  The user name will say [ENCRYPTED] and the password will be filled with masked characters (.....).

jennratten_0-1641486355635.png

If you already have a query and you want to assign a gateway, on the ribbon for the Power Query Online editor, go to Options > Project Options and select a gateway.  If you do it that way after you click okay, you will likely get an error message on the queries saying that you have to configure your connection.  Just click the button to do so and follow the prompts.

jennratten_1-1641486534990.png

Connection names cannot be changed from within a dataflow.  You must go to Manage Gateway to do that.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
JaromBIDEVatDK
Helper II
Helper II

@jennratten - How do I use an existing connection for a new query? Do I have to have a different gateway for every sql query to the same server/database? I don't see a way to change the connection name from the dataflow.

You do not need to have a separate gateway for each query with the same server/db.  You should have one connection for the server/db and then use that same connection for each query.  Only one gateway can be utilized by dataflow.

You can specify a gateway in a dataflow a couple of different ways.  When you go to get data > SQL (or other data source) > enter your server and database info and then choose a gateway from the list.  Then you will select an authentication type.  If the authentication type, server and database match one that is configured as a connection on the gateway you selected, the user name and password will populate automatically.  The user name will say [ENCRYPTED] and the password will be filled with masked characters (.....).

jennratten_0-1641486355635.png

If you already have a query and you want to assign a gateway, on the ribbon for the Power Query Online editor, go to Options > Project Options and select a gateway.  If you do it that way after you click okay, you will likely get an error message on the queries saying that you have to configure your connection.  Just click the button to do so and follow the prompts.

jennratten_1-1641486534990.png

Connection names cannot be changed from within a dataflow.  You must go to Manage Gateway to do that.

jennratten
Super User
Super User

If you are seeing this message when trying to add a new connection to a gateway, the names of the connections must be unique.  You can see a list of connections and names, add new connections, etc. by going to Manage Gateways in the Power BI Service.  Here are instructions:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/connect-data/service-gateway-data-sources 

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors