Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

thomasreick
Resolver I
Resolver I

Question: Does "read N files from Sharepoint-folder" work for N=1?

Hello there,

I want to load one file only(!) using the Read-(and combine)-Multiple-Files-From-Sharepoint-Folder"-Functionality.

It seems that tis does not work for N=1, only for N>1.

Can you please comment on this?

Reason why I am asking:

on an unregularily base I receive 1 CSV-File that needs to be integrated into reporting.

Unfortunately the file name contains a date, which needs to be handled with a workaround before loading to SP-Folder.

I would like to get rid of this workaround and tried the Read-Multiple-Approach.

Do you have any idea(s)?

thx in advance

Thomas

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @thomasreick ,

The "Read Multiple Files from SharePoint Folder" functionality is designed to read multiple files from a folder, and it may not work for a single file. However, you can still use the SharePoint connector to read a single file from a folder. Here is an example of how to read a single file from a SharePoint folder using the SharePoint connector:

let
    Source = SharePoint.Files("https://yoursharepointsite.sharepoint.com/sites/yourfolder/"),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each ([Name] = "yourfile.csv")),
    #"Content" = #"Filtered Rows"{0}[Content]
in
    #"Content"

Replace "https://yoursharepointsite.sharepoint.com/sites/yourfolder/" with the URL of your SharePoint site and folder, and replace "yourfile.csv" with the name of your file. This code will read the content of the file into a table.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.           

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
v-stephen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @thomasreick ,

The "Read Multiple Files from SharePoint Folder" functionality is designed to read multiple files from a folder, and it may not work for a single file. However, you can still use the SharePoint connector to read a single file from a folder. Here is an example of how to read a single file from a SharePoint folder using the SharePoint connector:

let
    Source = SharePoint.Files("https://yoursharepointsite.sharepoint.com/sites/yourfolder/"),
    #"Filtered Rows" = Table.SelectRows(Source, each ([Name] = "yourfile.csv")),
    #"Content" = #"Filtered Rows"{0}[Content]
in
    #"Content"

Replace "https://yoursharepointsite.sharepoint.com/sites/yourfolder/" with the URL of your SharePoint site and folder, and replace "yourfile.csv" with the name of your file. This code will read the content of the file into a table.

Hope it helps.

Best Regards,

Stephen Tao

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.           

ppm1
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

You could parse the date out of the filename to create a date column and then you can either sort by that or use the Table.Max function to keep only the latest file. You don't have to use the Combine & Transform functionality on this one.

Pat

Microsoft Employee

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors