Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

arca123
Advocate I
Advocate I

PowerQuery results change after PBI report has been published

Hi!
I encountered a very strange problem, and I wanted to find out if anyone has ever been affected by this problem, or if there is something I am doing wrong or missing.

I have a table that has 'month and year' value in the format mm.yyyy that I match to my calendar table. Each month has exactly one value, so I need to match month and not a specific date. Originally this table has full date for the first of the month. This is bad, as if I were to match this value to my calendar table, it would only match for the 1st date and on the 2nd of the month, the value would be null. However, the same value should apply. That's why I'm matching the month.

To obtain this month value, in Power Query I do a split column function. So from dd.mm.yyyy I split by the only the first ''.'' and obtain two columns ''dd.'' and ''mm.yyyy''. So I delete the first column and 2nd column is exactly what I'm looking for.

After I published this report and the data got refreshed, I noticed that the results are not the same as I'm seeing in desktop PBI. After downloading the published report, I noticed that this step in power query instead returns these columns: ''dd.'' and ''mm.yyyy.''. 
So I am very confused why there is an extra full stop in the published report, but no full stop in my desktop version of the same file?

As a solution, I added an extra step to my calendar table to have the format ''mm.yyyy.'' for month. Now the matching fails on my desktop PBI, but it works on the published report which is being used by my colleagues.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jennratten
Super User
Super User

Hello - Power Query scripts in a report in desktop vs. when published should be exactly the same.  If you are seeing a difference then the two reports being compared are not actually the same and just look the same, so one of the below is happening:

• The file did not successfully get published to the Power BI service therefore the versions being compared are not the same (one is an older version).
  • The report is getting published as a duplicate that looks like a report with the same name.  Perhaps there is a space at the end of the report name.  Or if one is a report with the semantic model and the other is a report with a live connection to a semantic model the the two reports can actually the same name but the end result is that they are not the same.
  • Power BI is not behaving as it should - you should submit a support ticket so Microsoft can further assist.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jennratten
Super User
Super User

@arca123 Have you had a chance to review this reply?  If this reply helped or solved your problem, please click Accept as Solution.  Thanks!

jennratten
Super User
Super User

Hello - Power Query scripts in a report in desktop vs. when published should be exactly the same.  If you are seeing a difference then the two reports being compared are not actually the same and just look the same, so one of the below is happening:

• The file did not successfully get published to the Power BI service therefore the versions being compared are not the same (one is an older version).
  • The report is getting published as a duplicate that looks like a report with the same name.  Perhaps there is a space at the end of the report name.  Or if one is a report with the semantic model and the other is a report with a live connection to a semantic model the the two reports can actually the same name but the end result is that they are not the same.
  • Power BI is not behaving as it should - you should submit a support ticket so Microsoft can further assist.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors