Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Chinu99

Import multiple csv files from a folder

Hi i am trying to import multiple csv files from a folder, but it is combining all files to create a single table,but i don't want to combine the files,i want tables separately to be loaded in data model view so then i can create relationship,How it will be possible?

3 REPLIES 3
foodd
Super User
Super User

Hello @Chinu99 , and thank you for starting a conversation in the Power Query Forum on how to import multiple CSV files from a folder that results in separate tables.   Both @mussaenda and @Vijay_A_Verma have offered reasonable suggestions to your question.  Have you otherwise solved the question, or do you need further help implementing their suggestion?    If it is complete, please mark the appropriate reply as a solution, and give Kudos

so that other folks searching on these types of questions are able to locate an answer quickly.

mussaenda
Super User
Super User

Hi @Chinu99 ,

when you are using the get data using folder, it will combine all the files. 

But, if you dont want to pull the csv files one by one, you can pull them as how you are doing it.

Then use the filename as a filter and right click the table the duplicate or reference according to your requirement.

Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

In Power Query, one table one file principle is followed. When you select a folder, the end result will still be one table only (in general people choose to combine to produce that one table).

For your case, if there are 10 files, you will need to load all 10 files individually. 

This is still a long pending demand from PQ community that we should get flexibility to load files in one go if we need more than one table. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors