Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

desertislesql
Helper III
Helper III

Error trying to get data from Microsoft Dynamics CRM

We are trying to use the Power Query connection in Office 365 Excel to make an Odata feed connection to CRM.  There are about 200 fields we are trying to access.  After the fields are added, a window popus up in Excel is waiting for another application to complete an OLE Action.  Any help would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

There appears to be an error with the way that Microsoft Dynamics CRM was configured, which meant some of the embedded tables were pointing to nothing.  Removing all of those tables, which were not being used resolved the connection issue.  Tip: Make sure CRM is configured correctly as it can cause a Odata issues.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@desertislesql Try reinstalling updated version of Power Query and while importing data make sure that the bandwidth for internet connection is sufficient enough to pull such a huge amount of data from CRM Online. Finally if this doesn't works try installing Excel again. I have done projects pulling data from CRM but never faced such issue. 

I'll try that.  The PC being used for this has 32 GB of ram and a 64 bit OS, so I didn't think it was a hardware issue.  Since CRM is in the cloud it could be the network. Hopefully your suggestion makes a difference.  I'll let you know how it works out.

Latest versions of Power Query and Excell from office 365 made no difference.  Appears to be some sort of data issue in CRM, which is hosted in the cloud.  Still investigating the issue.

There appears to be an error with the way that Microsoft Dynamics CRM was configured, which meant some of the embedded tables were pointing to nothing.  Removing all of those tables, which were not being used resolved the connection issue.  Tip: Make sure CRM is configured correctly as it can cause a Odata issues.

Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Try using the guidance here:

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/building-ultimate-microsoft-crm-dashboard-under-hour-greg-deckler?trk...

What table are you trying to pull in?

My suggestion would be start with a small number of fields without any expansion. I have had the most trouble with Leads.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

I started with pulling in CRM data from customers and that worked fine.  Now trying to pull in Sales, which has many fields and has been problematic.  I need that data though, so I have to figure out how to make it work.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors