Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Diego
Regular Visitor

Error - Import Data from Excel (compatibility mode)

Everytime that I try to import a spreadsheet that is in Compatibility Mode, the first column is missing.

Once I open the file, habilitate to edit and save it again, the column reapear on the query. I guess that some error is happening in this context on M.

As this source comes from a website that refresh the data daily, is a big headache to do this procedure manually, knowing that all can be easilly coded.

thanks

2 REPLIES 2
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Diego,

According to your description, you created a Excel file in compatibility mode which retrieved data from a web site, then you connected to this Excel in Power BI Desktop to get data. Sometimes, first column within the Excel disappeared, right?

In your scenario, please save the Excel without compatibility mode then connect to it again in desktop to see if the same issue occurs. In addition, we can connect to web site via Web data source in desktop. Please try to directly get data from web instead of Excel.

q1.PNG

If you have any question, please feel free to ask.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft!

Thanks for answering.

Almost there. I get the data from a public institute, which has a website with a repository in .xls spreadsheets that are refreshed daily. All of those files are in a "compatibility mode".

The first column are always missing when the "compatibility mode" are turned on. I've looked it deeply, on power bi and excel power query, with differents files.

I tried to get data directly from the web. However, it is when the the problem occur. 

So, my way around is do it all manually. The download, open the file, desable de compatibility mode and save it in one drive. But this need to be done every day, it's needless work.

When you open the file, disable the "compatibility mode", and overwrite it over the original document, the first column just reapers in the query.

Do you know why this problem is happening?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors