Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find everything you need to get certified on Fabric—skills challenges, live sessions, exam prep, role guidance, and more. Get started

JK_PowerBINew
Helper II
Helper II

Creating Summary Roles from Multiple Role Names

Hi there,

I have data where there are various distinctions of the same role category.

For example, Test Analyst: End to End, Test Analyst: Infrastructure, System Admin: DevOps, System Admin: Operati

ons, Training Manager, Operations Manager etc.

What would be the best way to create a column which aggregates these roles under the same category? For example, simply Test Analyst, System Admin and Managerial.

I know I could use multiple if statements or replace the values but this seems cumbersome and not like best practice. 

Please find sample data below.

NameDeptRole
Jane DoeHRTest Analyst End to End
John SmithResearchIT Manager
Frank FrostStrategyOperations Manager
Sam SunFinancesSystem Admin Operations
Jack JillEngineeringTest Analyst Infrastructure
Dennis MenaceFinancesFinance Manager
Albert EinsteinStrategySystem Admin DevOps

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

If roles are large in number, then it is better to maintain a mapping table. Then you can do a lookup on the mapping table.

I am not sure how many roles are there but on the basis of limited data whatever you have provided, following formula would work in a custom column

= if Text.Contains([Role],"Manager") then "Managerial" else Text.BeforeDelimiter([Role]," ",1)

1.png

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Vijay_A_Verma
Super User
Super User

If roles are large in number, then it is better to maintain a mapping table. Then you can do a lookup on the mapping table.

I am not sure how many roles are there but on the basis of limited data whatever you have provided, following formula would work in a custom column

= if Text.Contains([Role],"Manager") then "Managerial" else Text.BeforeDelimiter([Role]," ",1)

1.png

Thank you for this! I will try it out. Just for future reference, do you know of any useful references on the process of creating mapping tables?

Mapping table means this

1.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

Power BI Carousel June 2024

Power BI Monthly Update - June 2024

Check out the June 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors