Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

KEO46
Frequent Visitor

Can Power BI used to track changes in a table daily?

Is there a way to import an excel spreadsheet that contains a table daily into Power BI then compare the current load to the previouse load for any changes?  I am able to create key for each row so that I can compare the two tables (current and previouse) to identify if there are any changes.  If you have done this before to have a link to a video or post could you please provide it. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello @KEO46 Yes, you can achieve this in Power BI by using Power Query to import the Excel spreadsheet containing the daily table data and then comparing the current load to the previous load for any changes. Here’s a general approach:

1. Import Excel Spreadsheet: Use Power Query to import the Excel spreadsheet into Power BI Desktop. You can schedule this import to occur daily using the “Get Data” feature in Power BI.
2. Transform Data: In Power Query Editor, transform the data as needed, ensuring that each daily load creates a new set of rows in your table.
3. Create Key: Generate a unique key for each row in your table to facilitate comparison between the current and previous loads. This key could be based on a combination of relevant columns in your data.
4. Load Data: Load the transformed data into Power BI Desktop.
5. Create Comparison: Use DAX (Data Analysis Expressions) in Power BI to compare the current load to the previous load based on the generated key. You can create measures or calculated columns to identify changes, additions, or deletions between the two loads.
6. Visualize Changes: Create visualizations in Power BI to present the comparison results, such as tables, charts, or conditional formatting to highlight changes.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved. If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up. Also, how are you doing today? Remember, every challenge is an opportunity for growth.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Resolutions
Regular Visitor
lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Do you have separate Excel files, one per day?  If not then the answer is No.  
Power BI has no memory* . You need to manage your snapshots in the upstream system. * Yes, there is the self referencing option but that has no safety net.

Yes there will be a new spreadsheet of the table to load into bi each day. It is a custom table that is exported from SAP. 

Hello @KEO46 Yes, you can achieve this in Power BI by using Power Query to import the Excel spreadsheet containing the daily table data and then comparing the current load to the previous load for any changes. Here’s a general approach:

1. Import Excel Spreadsheet: Use Power Query to import the Excel spreadsheet into Power BI Desktop. You can schedule this import to occur daily using the “Get Data” feature in Power BI.
2. Transform Data: In Power Query Editor, transform the data as needed, ensuring that each daily load creates a new set of rows in your table.
3. Create Key: Generate a unique key for each row in your table to facilitate comparison between the current and previous loads. This key could be based on a combination of relevant columns in your data.
4. Load Data: Load the transformed data into Power BI Desktop.
5. Create Comparison: Use DAX (Data Analysis Expressions) in Power BI to compare the current load to the previous load based on the generated key. You can create measures or calculated columns to identify changes, additions, or deletions between the two loads.
6. Visualize Changes: Create visualizations in Power BI to present the comparison results, such as tables, charts, or conditional formatting to highlight changes.

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved. If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up. Also, how are you doing today? Remember, every challenge is an opportunity for growth.

Thank you for the post. With the direction you provided it sounds like I am appending a the new data load each day into on main table.  I created a key by concatenating a few fields.  Then comparing the keys.  But I am not sure what formula to use to do that. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors