Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mgriffin
Frequent Visitor

Are there issues reflecting a data refresh in reports?

I'm experiencing some issues with the output reflected in a report after a data source refresh.

My gateway is setup.

The data source is an on-premises workbook with a data model built using PowerQuery and PowerPivot (call this one Workbook-B).

This workbook with the data model pulls data from another on-premises workbook (call this one Workbook-A).

Here's what makes me happy:

I can refresh a data source in PowerBI after making changes in Workbook-A and the changes will ultimately be reflected in the PowerBI report. This is great! I don't have to update the intermediary workbook that has the actual data model pushed into PowerBI.

Here's where I'm experiencing some issues:

After refreshing the datasource in PowerBI, the changes only appear in the PowerBI report if I manipulate the shape of my output table. In otherwords, I have to remove or addback aggregates to make the refreshed data appear with the updated values.

Am I missing something here?

Is there a secondary refresh I should be doing in PowerBI to get the refreshed datasource to be reflected in the PowerBI report?

Any ideas from the community are greatly appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
andrewsimmans
Helper I
Helper I

I have been doing some tests this morning with an Excel Powerpviot based report accessing data from an SQL On Premise Source and using the Personal Gateway. I can tell teh refresh has happened as both Power BI tells me it has happened and I can see the SQL Activity - but the data was still not there when I looked at the dataset or the report.

Checking back a couple of hours later (having done nothing) - the data suddenly was there! So I wondered if the problem is that the reports are cached in my local Internet Explorer - refreshing the page (F5 and all that) - seems to fix it.

So perhaps this is just IE caching for you?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
andrewsimmans
Helper I
Helper I

I have been doing some tests this morning with an Excel Powerpviot based report accessing data from an SQL On Premise Source and using the Personal Gateway. I can tell teh refresh has happened as both Power BI tells me it has happened and I can see the SQL Activity - but the data was still not there when I looked at the dataset or the report.

Checking back a couple of hours later (having done nothing) - the data suddenly was there! So I wondered if the problem is that the reports are cached in my local Internet Explorer - refreshing the page (F5 and all that) - seems to fix it.

So perhaps this is just IE caching for you?

I will check that out and reply with a confirmation.

Thank you.

That did the trick.

Now I see also that you can right click and "reload" to refresh the browser cache.

This step isn't a huge deal but it does seem like it should update automatically following a datasource refresh.

Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors
Top Kudoed Authors