Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ojstocholm

Power BI deployment pipelines with Dataverse

I have set up a three-step Power BI deployment pipeline. 

ojstocholm_0-1698849450090.png

I use Power BI Desktop to create the Power BI reports, deploy to DEV and use the pipeline to deploy further down the line.

My Power BI report uses Power Platform Dataverse as data source, and I was under the impression that I could configure the STAGING (and PROD) environments to point to e.g., our Dataverse STAGING environment as well as our Dataverse PROD environment.

However, when I have deployed to STAGING and click the little "Lightning" icon

ojstocholm_1-1698849651499.png

... to set up a Deployment Rule ... 

ojstocholm_2-1698849688061.png

Everything is grayed out.

ojstocholm_3-1698849769776.png

Can anyone tell my why this is happening? And even better: can anyone tell me how to configure my STAGING workspace to have the data connection for this report point to the right data source?

Thank you

/Jesper 😊

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
ojstocholm

I fixed my problem with a couple of steps.

First, I use parameters in my Power Query to point to specific API endpoints, so I am using the "Parameter rules" to configure those.

ojstocholm_0-1710320184895.png

Second, I have configured the "Data source credentials" in each workspace to have the correct credentials for e.g., STAGING and PROD.

ojstocholm_1-1710320328020.png

I guess that the conclusion is that I did not need the "Deployment rules" for Dataverse connections. And if I had no parameters configured, I would have to just edit the credentials for the semantic model in each workspace.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ojstocholm

I fixed my problem with a couple of steps.

First, I use parameters in my Power Query to point to specific API endpoints, so I am using the "Parameter rules" to configure those.

ojstocholm_0-1710320184895.png

Second, I have configured the "Data source credentials" in each workspace to have the correct credentials for e.g., STAGING and PROD.

ojstocholm_1-1710320328020.png

I guess that the conclusion is that I did not need the "Deployment rules" for Dataverse connections. And if I had no parameters configured, I would have to just edit the credentials for the semantic model in each workspace.

cwarnholtz

Did you ever get an answer for this? We are having the same problem with the Dataverse Connector...no deployment rules available!!!

Thanks,

Craig

Hi @cwarnholtz I have added my solution to this thread. I hope that it helps.

/Jesper

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors