Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

debug.log file keeps coming back, same error, how do I stop it?

This has been going on for a while now. It seems every time I use Power BI desktop I get a debug.log file in the same directory as the PBIX file being used. After opening a PBIX the debug.log will be updated and will have this message timestamped:

ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc(43)] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. (0x3)

How do I find the culprit for the error, fix the error, and ensure it doesn't happen again?

I am using Power BI desktop (download, not MS store) version: 2.93.981.0 64-bit (May 2021)

Elsewhere it's been suggested to make sure no pending updates in Windows (not sure why). I've confirmed I am fully up to date, however my organization restricts some Windows updates. Is there a Windows update that Power BI is relying on here?

I removed all paths from global permissions, changed any file paths I could find in settings so they are local to PC (no OneDrive, etc. paths). Is there a specific file path PBI uses routinely that may no longer be available on my PC I can check or recreate?

Here's the text of one I haven't deleted like I do most of them. You can see this has been going on for several months.

[0419/150020.173:ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc(43)] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. (0x3)
[0422/122155.844:ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc(43)] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. (0x3)
[0422/132154.830:ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc(43)] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. (0x3)
>Removed entries in between for brevity<
[0610/145127.585:ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc(43)] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. (0x3)
[0610/155541.827:ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc(43)] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. (0x3)

[0623/082249.881:ERROR:directory_reader_win.cc(43)] FindFirstFile: The system cannot find the path specified. (0x3)

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@spiritofme 

A similar issue has been reported internally. You may check it again in August 2021 release.

CRI 242772787

spiritofme
Advocate II

@v-chuncz-msft 

Thank you for the reply. I eagerly await the fix.

Happy it's known about but disappointed it's going to take so long to resolve.