Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Power BI Desktop WebView2 crash

Power BI is experiencing a problem with WebView2. We need your help to understand and fix this issue. If you are willing to help out, please contact us at pbidesktopwebview2issues@service.microsoft.com

Hi @rahulshevde ,

Sorry, but we couldn’t provide any support outside this post. There are several existing ICM(292502976, 294087216) related to WebView2 crash, and product group is investigating on such issue. Will follow up them and sync here once there is update. In addition, please make sure you are using latest version of Power BI Desktop and try different versions of WebView2 at the same time. Thanks in advance!

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
sarabrg
Frequent Visitor

Me too.

sarabrg_0-1661770249385.png

mike_honey
Memorable Member

I've been trying to do the right thing and leave WebView2 on for the last few months, multiple machines.

I've rolled most of my machines back to July as the August build was just a total dud (many other issues). August QFE2 is now out (dated 26 August), which does seem to fix most of the other issues. But it's WebView2 seems an absolute mess again, unusable.  I've turned it off and hope to be able to get some actual work done.

Microsoft do not seem to appreciate that the thousands (millions?) of authors using Power BI Desktop generate the content that convinces execs and IT managers to buy Power BI licenses. The quality of Microsoft's work on Power BI Desktop has been really poor lately, basic testing seems to be skipped and major issues like this fester on for months. It frustrates me intensely as I spend most of my days working in this product.  

timwilson22

Appreciate the comment @mike_honey . I've been trying to figure this out for two hours. PBI worked fine yesterday and today it constantly crashes. I may never have considered completely uninstalling WebView2 so I could at least get some work done.

mike_honey
Memorable Member

@timwilson22  in my case I didnt need to go that far - I just turned off the Power BI Desktop Preview feature: Power BI Desktop infrastructure update.  As I understand it, that stops Power BI Desktop from using WebView2.

steffels
Frequent Visitor

I noticed that only my XML queries (5) were crashing, and they also crashed in Excel's Power Query. I just loaded them individually to Excel files and then combined those in Power BI instead. For me this is okay since the data was historical, but I imagine this isn't convenient for anyone with updating data.

KARTHIK1011
Regular Visitor

Power BI is facing WebView2 Crash. Required help to resolve this issue.

dsalony
Helper I

i got the same issue, pbi desktop completely crashed (I've never seen this issue in the several years of working with PowerBI... upsetting because unlike Excel which can get sketchy with more complex models, PBI has always been so stable)

marcia_info7

Hello.. it´s September 28 and I just got the same error message from PBI,  WebView2,  as you guys got last April.  

EE2
Regular Visitor

9.29.22 and we are consistently experiencing this issue in one file. It's to the point where we can't even make any updates to it since it crashes each time we try to save. 

pinaraycin
Employee

I am having this issue recently.