Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Power BI Desktop - Bug on Visualizations Pane

Dear Community,

I have been experiencing a bug within Power BI Desktop. (Version: 2.115.663.0 64-bit (March 2023))

The Visualizations Pane is not working properly since the latest update.

It is not changing to the "Format your Visual" Pane from times to times.

Anyone else is experiencing this? See the screenshot below, where under "Format your Visual" I can only see the "Add further analyses to your visual" pane.

scrsht.png

Sometimes it just doesnt show anything, sometimes it shows the options to format the report page even though I have a visual selected or sometimes it shows only the "General" section of the formatting pane.

In my case, the selected visual is within a Group, which is inside another Group of visuals. I believe this might be related somehow.

Hi @Contezini 

The March release has updates to visualizations. When Options => Preview features => On-object is enabled, visualizations will disappear from the right side.
More information can be found in the following Blog .
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/on-object-public-preview-opt-in/ 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @Contezini 

The March release has updates to visualizations. When Options => Preview features => On-object is enabled, visualizations will disappear from the right side.
More information can be found in the following Blog .
https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/on-object-public-preview-opt-in/ 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

ArtisanAmbrosia
Frequent Visitor

@v-yetao1-msft 

I'm having this exact issue and it's very frustrating. I will unselect then reselect a visual multiple times before it decides to populate the visual's formatting options.

I do NOT have "On-object interaction" selected in my settings and yet this is a constant issue. This isn't a "preview" feature if I'm being forced to turn on that feature in order to edit my visuals.

Thank you for any help you can provide!

Contezini
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-yetao1-msft ,

I have selected the On-object interaction on the preview features and am trying to get used to the new interface while I still think the older format was more user-friendly when it comes to building a report.

The same bug is still happening even with the new format. The only thing is, accessing the "Format Pane" through double-clicking any chart seems to work everytime, so for now I'm using that method to edit my visuals, but still in the hope that this gets fixed soon.

@ArtisanAmbrosia, since the bug remains in the preview feature, I'd suggest don't change it yet unless you cant edit anything anymore, because I believe hope this should be fixed soon.

ArtisanAmbrosia
Frequent Visitor

Thank you for the feedback, @Contezini. I'll hold off on turning on the preview on as long as I'm able and hopefully they'll work some kinks out.

Also, I think you're onto something about your grouped visuals. I don't believe I've experienced this issue with my visuals that aren't grouped together. For those grouped and especially those grouped within a group, I can sometimes spend 10 minutes or longer clicking various things to get the format pane to come up. Tables are the worst offender for me but I'm also having issues with bar charts, column charts & line/column combo charts.

C4YNelis
Advocate II

Hi @v-yetao1-msft ,

this is most definitaly a bug introduced in Power BI Desktop in the March update and a very annoying one at that. It should have a very high priority imho since it seriously affects the user experience as a report designer in a negative way.

What's more, I believe the problem described above by @contezini is only part of the problem. What also happens (and what I think is related) is that tables sometimes do not update their values correctly when changing filters in the filter pane. Maybe it does not have the exact same cause, maybe this is related to the new slicer functionality, but it does show the same behavior in a way. In both cases, switching to a different tab and switching back to the tab where you experience this issue, corrects the problem (at least, for that one instance, because the next time you click a table or visual, you might encounter the same problem).

I too don't yet have the new on-object option switched on.

What I believe happens is that Power BI Desktop does not correctly updates the focus on the visuals (in the formatting pane). What happens is that often when selecting a visual, it will show me the options for the background in the formatting pane instead of the formatting options for that selected visual. However, sometimes it shows me options for a completely different visual instead? For instance, just now when selecting a table, I was shown the formatting options for a line (a shape) on the same page instead.

Please fix this very soon as it makes it very hard to develop a report this way.

Thank you!

Cheers,

Niels

C4YNelis
Advocate II

Just an update to my previous comment:

- Values within the formatting pane also don't update well. For instance, changing an action of a button to a different bookmark, will not show a different action in the formatting pane. Switching to a different tab and back, it has been updated.

- When editing measures, the DAX formulas in the formula bar also don't show on the first click anymore. I need to click a measure twice to show it's formula.

So basically, all around it seems there is a problem with the screenupdating. It should be very easy to reproduce, since I see this in all my reports and it happens very often (most of the time when I click something).

Dom-Perthyn
Advocate I

I have been trying to update a report since the March release. With ot without the new On-object I am having more issues with the item selection I think,
1) The Format Pane does not always show for visuals of the same type that I multiple select either using the Shift key or the Selction Pane. 
2) Even when it shows the properties for these same typed visuals I am having issues resetting common properties.

3) I think that the hidden visuals that could perviously be selected after a non-hidden visual are being ignored.

ArtisanAmbrosia
Frequent Visitor

@v-yetao1-msft Is anyone going to respond to this thread and help with these issues since it was marked "Delivered"? I'm severely hindered in my ability to design reports with these bugs.