Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

No longer able to test RLS of multiple reports with a shared dataset

We used to be able to test the RLS of multiple reports that shared the same dataset by going into the dataset's options --> Security --> Test as Role to view main report as a specific user.  I could then do to the panel on the left, and select a new report (that shared the same dataset), and it would allow me to view that report as the specified user as well.

However, starting last week, the option to select another report is no longer available. If I click on the workspace icon, it just redirects me to the workspace.

We really need this functionality to be brought back as there is no other way to test RLS for these reports now!

RLS Issue.png

Hi @ASP 

It's by design . If you feel that this change has had a greater impact on your operation, We'd love to hear your feedback at Power BI Ideas.

Ailsamsft_0-1679361246803.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @ASP 

It's by design . If you feel that this change has had a greater impact on your operation, We'd love to hear your feedback at Power BI Ideas.

Ailsamsft_0-1679361246803.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

ASP
Regular Visitor

Wow.  @v-yetao1-msft , so then what is the recommended method to test that RLS is functioning properly for all shared-dataset reports?  Are there any alternatives?

Thank you!

ChristianMetzen

@ASP @v-yetao1-msft This is really a problem, with this change it is impossible to test reports based on a dataset as specific role. What is the alternative to test such reports?

bjkoning-bince
Advocate I

@ASP  @v-yetao1-msft same issue here ; for our functional testing and user support workflow not being able to verify reports as a user/role is really undesirable. It complicates these workflows unnecessarily. I would like to see this option return to the interface, or have an option to disable the new user experience.

ASP
Regular Visitor

@bjkoning-bince @ChristianMetzen , I created a new Power BI Idea to bring this feature back.  Please vote here if you believe it is important: Bring back ability to test RLS for multiple reports on shared dataset in PBI Service 

bjkoning-bince
Advocate I

I just found out that the functionality is back in another form @ChristianMetzen @ASP ; the new-new interface adds a shortcut / quick link below the current workspace to the last visited report, visible in the left menu bar. You can test as role and select the report you want to debug/test from the quick link while testing as role. The test as role option remains active as long as the report is still in the same workspace as your dataset.

dontcallmedeb
Regular Visitor
hsantosh
Frequent Visitor

Hi have 2 shared datasets example dataset 1 amd 2. On dataset 2 applied RLS with USERNAME(). Built report importing both as direct query and gave relationships. In service and desktop report report is working fine but in embedded application throwing error. Unexpected error something in inspect saying report token issue with workspace name. Can You help on this issue. Multiple shared datasets can't we use to build report with RLS USERNAME(). If need any more information I will share I'm details

Report is embedded in application. In application report is bot working error is coming.