Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

New UI experience disables option to test RLS on workspace reports

Hi,

The updated UI experience prevents me from testing row level security (RLS) on reports in the same workspace other than the "dataset report". The old UI experience allowed me to select a different report (dropdown in left menubar) residing in the same workspace as the dataset when testing as a different user. My colleagues and our customers use this feature to check for any rights issues, or data privacy concerns.

Best,

Bart

Hi @bjkoning-bince 

It's by design . So if you want test RLS on workspace reports , you can operate in the content area on the right.

If you feel that this change has had a greater impact on your operation, We'd love to hear your feedback at Power BI Ideas.

Ailsamsft_0-1678932119044.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @bjkoning-bince 

It's by design . So if you want test RLS on workspace reports , you can operate in the content area on the right.

If you feel that this change has had a greater impact on your operation, We'd love to hear your feedback at Power BI Ideas.

Ailsamsft_0-1678932119044.png

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

bjkoning-bince
Advocate I

Hi Ailsa,

I am not sure what you mean by "content area on the right". What action do I need to perform in the new user interface, while testing RLS as role, to switch to a different report in the same workspace, maintaining the 'test as role option? 

I really am at a loss on how to test other reports than whatever report test as role defaults to. It is absolutely essential that we are able to test different reports as RLS role in the same workspace reporting on the workspace dataset.

Thanks for your help 

Best,

Bart Jan

ChristianMetzen

@bjkoning-bince Did you manage to get this working. We have exactly the same problem.

bjkoning-bince
Advocate I

@ChristianMetzen No, unfortunately not. It seems like the functionality is just disabled. The only workaround seems to add a report tab to default dataset report to test, but that is not much of a solution in my opinion..

aechague
Advocate II

Hi,

@v-yetao1-msft what it really means "operate in the content area on the right"? The "Test as Role" option is only activated from security settings of the dataset, not from the content area. After that, with the new interface there is no way to select another dashboard that uses that dataset as source of data to test it.

Please a solution

Thanks