Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

BUG: Dynamic Format Thousands (k) w/out decimal displays correctly in data labels

The dynamic format thousands (k) when displayed with a decimal appears correctly in both data labels and tables.  But with no decimal the dynamic format for thousands only appears correctly in table visuals.  The respective values do display in data labels.  The display unit are set to none.   

ewilliams0405_0-1684342034129.png

Format: 

SWITCH(TRUE(),
SELECTEDVALUE(ValueOrQtySelector[ValueQty_Ind],"Val")="Val" && ABS([Sales_Less_Returns_YTD]) < 100000, "$#,##0;($#,##0)"
,SELECTEDVALUE(ValueOrQtySelector[ValueQty_Ind],"Val")="Val" && ABS([Sales_Less_Returns_YTD]) < 1000000, "$#,0,.K"//"\$#,0,.k;(\$#,0,.k)"
,SELECTEDVALUE(ValueOrQtySelector[ValueQty_Ind],"Val")="Val" && ABS([Sales_Less_Returns_YTD]) >= 1000000, "\$#,0,,.0M;(\$#,0,,.0M)"
,SELECTEDVALUE(ValueOrQtySelector[ValueQty_Ind],"Val")<>"Val" && ABS([Sales_Less_Returns_YTD]) < 100000, "#,##0;(#,##0)"
,SELECTEDVALUE(ValueOrQtySelector[ValueQty_Ind],"Val")<>"Val" && ABS([Sales_Less_Returns_YTD]) < 1000000, "\#,0,.k;(\#,0,.k)"
,SELECTEDVALUE(ValueOrQtySelector[ValueQty_Ind],"Val")<>"Val" && ABS([Sales_Less_Returns_YTD]) >= 1000000, "\#,0,,.0M;(\#,0,,.0M)"
,"#,0;(#,0)")

I believe this is a bug in the dynamic formating as no thousands format appears to work and it only appears to an issue when used in data labels.  

It would be nice to turn off the dynamic formating to display the base value for validation purposes or in visuals where the format may not be required.  

Hi @ewilliams0405 

What is your Desktop version ? I tried to restore the scenario you mentioned but failed, can you provide your pbix file(remove sensitive info) for reference ?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
wojpie11
Frequent Visitor

I've posted the same issue maybe an hour before you. You may want to upvote mine, there's better chance someone will look into this.

Dynamic format for measure on column/bar chart - Microsoft Power BI Community

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Hi @ewilliams0405 

What is your Desktop version ? I tried to restore the scenario you mentioned but failed, can you provide your pbix file(remove sensitive info) for reference ?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

ewilliams0405
Frequent Visitor

@v-yetao1-msft The version I am using is 2.116.1145.0 64-bit (April 2023).  Path for file:  DynamicFormattingIssue.pbix

ewilliams0405
Frequent Visitor

Were you able to open the file from GitHub?