Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Ostrzak
Frequent Visitor

Overwriting a csv using Spark notebook creates artifacts

Hi everyone,

It might be a bit stupid of a question, but is there a way to overwrite csv files in a lakehouse (using Pyspark notebook) without creation of additional folders/artifacts?

Right now when I use:

df.write.mode("overwrite").csv("file_path")

A new subfolder is created (named as original file), within it SUCCESS artifact and a .csv file with a hashed name. 

Ostrzak_0-1698687647912.png

I can live with it, but it would be nice if it could just overwrite a file and leave it in the same destination. 

Thank you in advance for any feedback.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
AndyDDC
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Ostrzak what is the value in "file_path"?  If I specify a Files folder to save the CSV to, it replaces the current CSV with a new version - changing the CSV filename in the process.  But the old one has been removed.

AndyDDC_0-1698694337789.png

AndyDDC_1-1698694354260.png

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
AndyDDC
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Ostrzak what is the value in "file_path"?  If I specify a Files folder to save the CSV to, it replaces the current CSV with a new version - changing the CSV filename in the process.  But the old one has been removed.

AndyDDC_0-1698694337789.png

AndyDDC_1-1698694354260.png

Hi @AndyDDC 

Thank you for answering.

I had it saved directly to the lakehouse Files, without any subfolder. When I overwrite it, it lands in a subfolder that is named as the file before, while inside there are  two entities:

- csv file with hashed name

- SUCCESS artifact

I see from your example that it works fine after it creates the aforementioned structure. That is useful knowledge. I guess I have to get accustomed to this structure, at the end of a day it is still human-readable.

Hi @Ostrzak ,

We haven’t heard from you on the last response and was just checking back to see if you have a resolution yet. Otherwise, will respond back with the more details and we will try to help .

Yes it's advisable to have sub-folders when writing, as there could be overwrite issues.

If my reply has been helpful please consider marking it as the solution.

Glad it's sorted now

Helpful resources

Announcements
April Fabric Update Carousel

Fabric Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors