Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

alfBI
Helper III
Helper III

Fabric Warehouse on a Premium Capacity Workspace (Data Storage Limit on Delta Lake)

Hi,

I have been reviewing many docs links but I have not found a clear answer to following  question.

If you have a Premium based capacity workspace and you create a Fabric Warehouse on it, what is the maximum amount of data you might store on it? (trough the delta lake layer)

Does it apply the 100 TB limit described here?

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/admin/service-admin-manage-your-data-storage-in-power-bi

Thanks,

2 REPLIES 2

@alfBI The maximum amount of data you can store on a Fabric Warehouse in a Premium capacity workspace depends on the size of the workspace and the amount of storage allocated to the workspace.

The 100 TB limit you mentioned in the Power BI documentation applies to the amount of data that can be stored in a Power BI dataset, not in a Fabric Warehouse.

Premium Per Capacity licences have 100tb (terabytes) of storage and unlimited storage in "My Workspace".

See: Manage data storage in your workspaces - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

In a Premium capacity workspace, you can allocate additional storage to the workspace by purchasing additional Premium capacity nodes. Each node provides additional storage capacity, and you can add multiple nodes to increase the total storage capacity of the workspace.

The amount of data you can store in a Fabric Warehouse also depends on the size of the individual Delta tables and the number of tables you create. Each Delta table can store up to 1 TB of data, and you can create multiple tables in a Fabric Warehouse.

It's important to note that storing large amounts of data in a Fabric Warehouse can impact the performance of the workspace, especially if you are running queries that require scanning large amounts of data. You may want to consider partitioning your data and optimizing your queries to improve performance.

Hope this helps. Do let us know if you any further queries.

Hi PRADEEPCH,

Thanks for your answer, but I am still a bit confused. You mention

"The maximum amount of data you can store on a Fabric Warehouse in a Premium capacity workspace depends on the size of the workspace and the amount of storage allocated to the workspace"

How can I retrieve this info? I created a premium workspace to create some Fabric artifacts and checking workspace settings I see image below. Does it means that this workspace can not include more than 10 GB of storage?

alfBI_0-1685952394647.png

Where can I find info about the storage associated to capacity nodes? (these below does not include any reference to storage)

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/fabric/enterprise/licenses

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/developer/embedded/embedded-capacity#sku-memory-and-compu...

And finally, when you said

"It's important to note that storing large amounts of data in a Fabric Warehouse can impact the performance of the workspace, especially if you are running queries that require scanning large amounts of data"

Do you mean that it would not be possible to migrate a 200 GB DWH based on a on-premise SQL server to a Fabric DataWarehouse? (because this would be our aim)

Regards,

Alfons

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

March 2024  FBC Gallery Image

Fabric Monthly Update - March 2024

Check out the March 2024 Fabric update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors