Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DennesTorres
Solution Supplier
Solution Supplier

Fabric Capacity Metrics App

Hi,

What permissions do I need to see a capacity on this app? 

It seems my account is already set as an admin of the capacities but they still don't appear on the app

Kind Regards,

Dennes

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,

The issue was workarounded in a strange way.

First, once I got access to the workspace, I became able to see the report instead of the app and the report shows everything.

At some moment, I received a message saying something like "This kind of app will discontinued and you should upgrade it". I'm not sure about this different kinds of apps, but I followed the instructions and clicked to upgrade and update the app.

The old one got the app type "Org App", this is the one which doesn't show all the capacities to me.

The other one got the app type as "Template App" and this one works.

Kind Regards,

Dennes

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
Expiscornovus
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @DennesTorres,

Sorry, that was just a question to double check. Good to know you have already been using it. So, for the capacities that show up in the dropdown the app is showing data?

And again, just to double check. You used Organizational (to enable app access to all the data sources in your organization) in the Authentication settings and not Private, correct?

organizationalsetting.png

Hi,

Yes, I can see the consumption data for the capacities which appear on the App, but I have two capacities missing.

I'm not the one who installed the App on the environment, only the owner can check this configuration. Before I talk to other people in the company, how would this result in capacities no appearing in the dropdown of the report ?

Kind Regards,

Dennes

Hi @DennesTorres,

As far as I am aware the data source credentials needs to be an account which is a capacity admin. If different credentials are used, those capacities wouldn't show up in the dropdown.

Below are the settings of that dropdown/visualizations.

As you can see it is getting its details from the Capacities table of the CapacityMetricsCES data source I showed in my previous screenshot. 

capacityname_capacitiestable.png

Hi,

The capacity is appearing for other admins, just not for me.

In this case, I believe the semantic model is configured to use the app user identity.

What else could I check?

Kind Regards,

Dennes

Hi @DennesTorres,

Interesting issue. I don't know the answer, but I'm curious.

Have you verified that you are using the exasct same app as your colleagues?

(I.e. is the URL the same?) 

frithjof_v_0-1713202124611.png

Does anyone know if the access to the data in Fabric Capacity Metrics App is authorized according to the credentials of the user who installed the Fabric Capacity Metrics app, or the user who is viewing the Fabric Capacity Metrics app?

Are you Admin / Member / Contributor / Viewer in the workspace where the Fabric Capacity Metrics app has been installed?

Did you try refreshing the report, refreshing the browser, clearing browser cache, etc.?

Hi,

Same app

I was not the admin of the workspace. I became one, but nothing changed. 

Yes, about cache, refreshes and so on.

Kind Regards,

Dennes

Interesting

Have you tried creating a new report, connected with live connection to the Fabric Capacity Metrics semantic model?
And see if you can find all the capacity names in the Capacities table of the Fabric Capacity Metrics semantic model?

(Or connect to the Fabric Capacity Metrics semantic model from DAX studio and query the Capacities table in the semantic model)

If you still cannot see those capacities, after clearing cache and refreshing the semantic model, refreshing the report, refreshing the browser, etc. 

I guess it must be something about the Authorization method for the data in the Fabric Capacity Metrics App report.

I don't know what kind of Authorization (and semantic model storage mode) it uses. It seems to be a Kusto source. I don't have so much experience with Kusto source.

Is it using your (report viewer) credentials, or the credentials of the person who installed the app?

Anyway, it seems strange to me that you cannot see those capacities when you are the admin of those capacities.
I assume you can see all the capacities in the Admin portal -> Capacity settings?

Perhaps you could try to install the Fabric Capacity Metrics with your user, and see if anything changes.

Otherwise, I hope someone who knows more about the authorization mechanism for the Fabric Capacity Metrics App can provide insights.

Hi,

After get access to the workspace, I checked the semantic model and report. I can explore the semantic model and see the new capacities on the dropdown.

I can also see the new capacities if I open the reports used to generate the app.

I only can't see the new capacities on the app.

Kind Regards,

Dennes

Hi @DennesTorres 
Thanks for using Fabric Community.
Are you still facing this issue or it got resolved? Please let me know if you have any further questions. Will definitely help.

Hi,

The issue was workarounded in a strange way.

First, once I got access to the workspace, I became able to see the report instead of the app and the report shows everything.

At some moment, I received a message saying something like "This kind of app will discontinued and you should upgrade it". I'm not sure about this different kinds of apps, but I followed the instructions and clicked to upgrade and update the app.

The old one got the app type "Org App", this is the one which doesn't show all the capacities to me.

The other one got the app type as "Template App" and this one works.

Kind Regards,

Dennes

Hi @DennesTorres 
We haven’t heard from you on the last response and was just checking back to see if your query got resolved. Please let me know if you have any further issues.

That's interesting

Can you update the app?

Or, you can just use the report in the workspace.

Although not a very satisfying answer, I usually just open the report in the workspace.

Still, it seems strange that you see different data in the app compared to when you open the underlying report. (Provided there's no active filters in the filters pane in the app, and you have refreshed the visuals in the app).

I tried sharing the app with another user, and the user can see the metrics even if the user is not the admin of any capacity and is not a member of the Microsoft Fabric Capacity Metrics workspace.

Expiscornovus
Resolver II
Resolver II

Hi @DennesTorres,

If you have already checked that you are admin of the capacity I would suggest to double check if you used the correct id for the capacityId field/parameter in the Semantic Model within the Fabric Capacity Metrics app.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/fabric/enterprise/metrics-app-install?tabs=1st#run-the-app-for-the...

semanticmodel_settings.png

Hi,

Sorry, I don't understand.

I'm not running the app for the first time. The app shows a dropdown with the capacities I have access to. Two capacities are not appearing on this dropdown. 

There is no place to insert the capacity Id, the dropdown is filled automatically by the app.

Kind Regards,

Dennes

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Kudoed Authors